Author Topic: GPS Coordinates  (Read 1824 times)

Offline mrfearless47

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
GPS Coordinates
« on: October 20, 2020, 01:54:52 PM »
Virtually all of my photos have GPS entries in their metadata as I use cameras with attached GPS devices.  In Lightroom, these are part and parcel of the ingestion process, but upon scanning to a Photo Mechanic Catalog in PM Plus, the GPS data are not being transferred with the metadata.  I'm also not sure that any of the XMP data short of cropping is transferring over either.  Obviously PM Plus isn't intended as a Raw editor, but I'm wondering how we preserve edited information on hundreds of thousands of images already catalogued and edited in Lightroom.  It is hard to tell how much of the data gets transferred to Photoshop when I "edit in" from Photo Mechanic Plus to Photoshop 2021 (released today).  Right now, that is a lesser concern than making sure all of the GPS data get sent properly.  I do a lot of sorting on GPS data and country, so this is a limit for me unless I can figure out an efficient way to make this visible to PM Plus.

Thanks.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: GPS Coordinates
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2020, 02:06:14 PM »
Virtually all of my photos have GPS entries in their metadata as I use cameras with attached GPS devices.  In Lightroom, these are part and parcel of the ingestion process, but upon scanning to a Photo Mechanic Catalog in PM Plus, the GPS data are not being transferred with the metadata.  I'm also not sure that any of the XMP data short of cropping is transferring over either.  Obviously PM Plus isn't intended as a Raw editor, but I'm wondering how we preserve edited information on hundreds of thousands of images already catalogued and edited in Lightroom.  It is hard to tell how much of the data gets transferred to Photoshop when I "edit in" from Photo Mechanic Plus to Photoshop 2021 (released today).  Right now, that is a lesser concern than making sure all of the GPS data get sent properly.  I do a lot of sorting on GPS data and country, so this is a limit for me unless I can figure out an efficient way to make this visible to PM Plus.

Sounds like you only have your metadata in your Lightroom catalog and you haven't forced Lightroom to update your images with the metadata changes you've made.  Photo Mechanic Plus has no capability to read your Lightroom catalog and has to rely on the metadata either embedded in your images or in XMP sidecar files.

In Lightroom, select the images that you want to update with your edits and choose "Save Metadata to Files" from the "Metadata" menu.  Those images will now either have their embedded metadata updated or XMP sidecar files created/updated.  Now Photo Mechanic/Photo Mechanic Plus will see your metadata changes.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline mrfearless47

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2020, 02:17:58 PM »
Do I have to rescan for this to happen, or will this happen because the catalog already has pointers to the original files where xmp files will be written?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2020, 02:33:23 PM »
Do I have to rescan for this to happen, or will this happen because the catalog already has pointers to the original files where xmp files will be written?

Catalog will get the updated information as you browse those images (the changes will be auto-detected and the catalog database will be updated), but if you have a lot of images in your Catalog, I suggest using the Catalog Sync feature with the "Full" mode which will exhaustively check for updates to the metadata.

-Kirk