Author Topic: Trying to copy a catalog on another computer  (Read 1643 times)

Offline Soizic

• View Profile
Trying to copy a catalog on another computer
« on: October 23, 2020, 07:34:57 AM »
Hello

Two failures

1) I made a small test catalog of 500 RAWs on my desktop computer (Catalina), I copied on my portable Mac (Catalina) the PM-2008 folder including :
catalog_undo.pmdb
catalog.pmdb
Proxy folder

Photos are not on this computer.

Then I click on catalog.pmdb; the title PM-2008 appears on the window, a red task, no catalog on the left and not in the "manage catalog" menu either, so no reintegration button.

2) I guess the problem comes from the absence of the photos.
I did another test with the photos present but PM's behavior is the same.

What to do ?

Thanks for application DeepL which gives me the impression of knowing how to speak English !
Soizic (France)
MacBook Pro M1,Ventura, PM+ à jour, deepl translator

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Trying to copy a catalog on another computer
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2020, 08:47:19 AM »
Soizic,

1) I made a small test catalog of 500 RAWs on my desktop computer (Catalina), I copied on my portable Mac (Catalina) the PM-2008 folder including :
catalog_undo.pmdb
catalog.pmdb
Proxy folder

Photos are not on this computer.

Then I click on catalog.pmdb; the title PM-2008 appears on the window, a red task, no catalog on the left and not in the "manage catalog" menu either, so no reintegration button.

You click on catalog.pmdb?  Where?  In the Finder?  That step is not necessary or advised.

2) I guess the problem comes from the absence of the photos.
I did another test with the photos present but PM's behavior is the same.

What to do ?

From within Photo Mechanic Plus on your portable Mac, open the Catalog Management window (Catalog->Manage Catalogs...) then click on the "Locate Existing Catalog..." button.  Find and choose your PM-2008 folder.  Then in the Local Catalogs area, click on the triangle that appears to the left of your PM-2008 catalog.  Next, click on the triangle that appears to the left of the word "Maintenance".  Click on the "Reintegrate Forgotten Catalog" button.  This will take some time.  When it is finished, you should be able to continue your work with the PM-2008 catalog, though if the images aren't available, you'll only see proxies and you won't be able to edit metadata on those images.

-Kirk

Offline Soizic

• View Profile
Re: Trying to copy a catalog on another computer
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2020, 10:58:32 PM »
" then click on the "Locate Existing Catalog..." button. "

Thanks Kirk, it was  suffisant for a good result
Soizic (France)
MacBook Pro M1,Ventura, PM+ à jour, deepl translator