Author Topic: Location (Legacy) field query  (Read 2015 times)

Offline Andrew

• View Profile
Location (Legacy) field query
« on: October 27, 2020, 11:28:54 AM »
I have always used the Location field in the (Metadata) IPTC Template and its predecessor the IPTC Stationary Pad.

When filtering or browsing in PM6+, this is now called Location (Legacy). However, the Find and Find and Replace commands under Edit still call this field Location. It is confusing to have two terms for the same field.

Also, use of Legacy suggests that the field is obsolete and may be replaced/updated. I believe that this field is now officially know as Sublocation.

Is there an intention to rationalise these terms and make them consistent?

Also, if I decide to start using Location Created, I will have to select two fields when filtering or browsing locations, as my existing location is in what is now a legacy field. Is there a way to automate the bulk transfer of the existing Location information to the Location Created and the Location Shown fields?

Thanks and regards.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Location (Legacy) field query
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2020, 12:00:30 PM »
Andrew,

I have always used the Location field in the (Metadata) IPTC Template and its predecessor the IPTC Stationary Pad.

When filtering or browsing in PM6+, this is now called Location (Legacy). However, the Find and Find and Replace commands under Edit still call this field Location. It is confusing to have two terms for the same field.

Also, use of Legacy suggests that the field is obsolete and may be replaced/updated. I believe that this field is now officially know as Sublocation.

Is there an intention to rationalise these terms and make them consistent?

Not at this time, but please feel free to make a feature request.  https://docs.camerabits.com/support/discussions/forums/48000071283

Also, if I decide to start using Location Created, I will have to select two fields when filtering or browsing locations, as my existing location is in what is now a legacy field. Is there a way to automate the bulk transfer of the existing Location information to the Location Created and the Location Shown fields?

You should be able to use the Metadata Template to bulk copy those fields by using the appropriate variables.

-Kirk

Offline Andrew

• View Profile
Re: Location (Legacy) field query
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2020, 04:32:58 AM »
OK thanks.