Author Topic: Working with Collections with Offline Images  (Read 6135 times)

Offline sdwheeler

• Newcomer
  • Photo Mechanic daily user since 2001
    • View Profile
    • Simon Wheeler Photography
Working with Collections with Offline Images
« on: October 27, 2020, 06:25:56 PM »
I'm starting to learn about collections. I read the thread called "Collections and photos from multiple catalogs" from April 25 2020 at 11:44 pm

My first point is that I can't seem to add photos to a Collection if the originals are off line. This isn't mentioned anywhere in the PM Plus Read Me.

This seems to defeat the entire point of collecting groups of photos for consideration for a project. I would want a feature where I could create a collection from a catalog of images on an external drive and then be able to take the computer away with me so I could work on creating collections from the off line catalogue while away from the actual data. Maybe this just isn't possible?

I would love to see a system where I could add a marker to an image to denote that it was in a collection and then when I was back to where the original data was, then be able to select the original images and copy them to a folder and do any adjustments needed for the final use. If the ability to work with collections is tied to being able to access the original images then collections have little use for me.

Reading the thread mentioned at the beginning of my post I note that using collections seems to have the potential generate duplicate images. I all ready have this problem due to creating folders of duplicate images from past projects. I was hoping that PM Plus would resolve this issue for me.

Please don't take my disappointment with this feature with general dissatisfaction. I'm getting a lot of value out of the program. I was just hoping for more.

thanks
Simon

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Working with Collections with Offline Images
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2020, 09:13:48 PM »
Simon,

I'm starting to learn about collections. I read the thread called "Collections and photos from multiple catalogs" from April 25 2020 at 11:44 pm

My first point is that I can't seem to add photos to a Collection if the originals are off line. This isn't mentioned anywhere in the PM Plus Read Me.

This seems to defeat the entire point of collecting groups of photos for consideration for a project. I would want a feature where I could create a collection from a catalog of images on an external drive and then be able to take the computer away with me so I could work on creating collections from the off line catalogue while away from the actual data. Maybe this just isn't possible?

Currently yes, not possible.  The next build of Photo Mechanic Plus will allow you to add offline images to a collection as long as the images you want to add to the collection are already a member of the catalog whose collection you're adding into.  If you'd like to give a pre-release build a try, let me know and you can try it out.  I'd just need to know what OS you run Photo Mechanic Plus on so I can make the build.

I would love to see a system where I could add a marker to an image to denote that it was in a collection and then when I was back to where the original data was, then be able to select the original images and copy them to a folder and do any adjustments needed for the final use. If the ability to work with collections is tied to being able to access the original images then collections have little use for me.

It's simpler than that.  No markers.  You select images that are part of a search/filter/browse results from a catalog and you can add them to that catalog's collection, regardless of them being currently accessible.

Reading the thread mentioned at the beginning of my post I note that using collections seems to have the potential generate duplicate images. I all ready have this problem due to creating folders of duplicate images from past projects. I was hoping that PM Plus would resolve this issue for me.

Making an image part of a collection causes no duplication.  The collections are virtual.

Please don't take my disappointment with this feature with general dissatisfaction. I'm getting a lot of value out of the program. I was just hoping for more.

Understood.  But please understand that Photo Mechanic Plus, while built on the foundation of Photo Mechanic 6, is at its early stages and there is more to come as the product matures and we discover how our users make use of it and what they need.

-Kirk

Offline Soizic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2020, 11:13:22 PM »
"You select images that are part of a search/filter/browse results from a catalog and you can add them to that catalog's collection, regardless of them being currently accessible."

Catalina, PM 5215
doesn't work for me
Soizic (France)
MacBook Pro M1,Ventura, PM+ à jour, deepl translator

Offline sdwheeler

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2020, 06:59:03 AM »
Hi Kirk,

Thank you for the fast response and the offer of the pre-release build. I would take you up on that. I'm on Mac OS 10.14.6, current with all updates.

I will try the pre-release version on my second machine so there's no chance of things going wrong on my main machine. You tips on how to move catalogs between machines a few days ago were very helpful. I've been keeping my catalogs in the Public folder to enable moving them between machines using Target Disk mode.

Simon

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2020, 09:15:08 AM »
Soizic,

"You select images that are part of a search/filter/browse results from a catalog and you can add them to that catalog's collection, regardless of them being currently accessible."

Catalina, PM 5215
doesn't work for me

Correct.  Build 5215 of Photo Mechanic Plus cannot add offline images to collections.  You'd need the next build.

-Kirk

Offline sdwheeler

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2020, 09:30:48 AM »
Kirk,

Do you need an email address for me?

thanks
Simon

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2020, 09:54:04 AM »
No, I'll post it to you in a personal message.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2020, 07:45:33 PM »

Offline Soizic

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2020, 01:45:30 AM »
fine with 5270
Yhanks
Soizic (France)
MacBook Pro M1,Ventura, PM+ à jour, deepl translator

Offline sdwheeler

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2020, 07:19:17 AM »
Hi Kirk,

I have it and it's working in a quick test on my MacBook Pro. I have one thought/feature request. Is it possible to have PM Plus know the source of the original file when the file is offline. I know I can "Reveal in Finder" when the image is online. Is there a way to embed the file path of the image from when it was put into the catalog so that I could know which hard drive to mount to find the original? Maybe this is already possible with variables and I'm too lazy, or rushed this morning to figure it out?

My big reason for using PM Plus is I have several hard drives of personal work accumulated over the years. My filing system was less than organized as I revisit the files, sometimes to retone old raws with better results using new conversion techniques, or make new finished projects from older images resulting in new folders of duplicate images. Being able to know the source of the original image in the catalog even when it was offline would be really helpful.

This is not an issue with my professional work as there's usually one finished image and it's labelled in the IPTC with the dated folder name where it resides.

Thanks for the beta.

Simon

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2020, 08:05:38 AM »
Simon,

I have it and it's working in a quick test on my MacBook Pro. I have one thought/feature request. Is it possible to have PM Plus know the source of the original file when the file is offline. I know I can "Reveal in Finder" when the image is online. Is there a way to embed the file path of the image from when it was put into the catalog so that I could know which hard drive to mount to find the original? Maybe this is already possible with variables and I'm too lazy, or rushed this morning to figure it out?

Select the image and look at the status bar at the bottom of the Contact Sheet window.  The path should be displayed.  You can also put the {folderpath}{filename} variables in your Info Text and it will be displayed in the Preview's Info Text box, and via Info Tooltips in the Contact Sheet.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline sdwheeler

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2020, 12:00:55 PM »
Hi Kirk,

Fabulous. Thank you. Now I can find my photos. That was what I really wanted. You save me from my disorganization.

Suggestion. I'm running the latest public build now, 5277. With the contact result of a search open, I can right click on an image and add it to the currently selected collection from the right click, contextual menu. But if I have the image open in the Preview window, that option is missing from the contextual menu. Could that option be added to the contextual menu in the Preview mode please?

Also. I figured out that I can only add it to the collection that is current in the Collections tab. Is there any way to add a pull down to various collections that are associated with the current catalog? This isn't a deal breaker but would be handy.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2020, 12:58:53 PM »
Fabulous. Thank you. Now I can find my photos. That was what I really wanted. You save me from my disorganization.

Suggestion. I'm running the latest public build now, 5277. With the contact result of a search open, I can right click on an image and add it to the currently selected collection from the right click, contextual menu. But if I have the image open in the Preview window, that option is missing from the contextual menu. Could that option be added to the contextual menu in the Preview mode please?

It would be possible to add it there, but I worry that most users won't be able to see the Collections UI to confirm the add and may get confused.

Also. I figured out that I can only add it to the collection that is current in the Collections tab. Is there any way to add a pull down to various collections that are associated with the current catalog? This isn't a deal breaker but would be handy.

That's more difficult and could impact the performance of the contextual menu.

-Kirk

Offline sdwheeler

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2020, 01:13:52 PM »
Hi Kirk,

I understand on the second request. Far too complicated. But the former, you could be going along in Preview with your finger on the right or left arrow key, any time you see one you wanted in the collection hit the right corner of your track pad and then it would be so quick to add it to a collection.

I just think it would add some speed as you might want to see images big one at at time before adding them and it's awkward to keep opening and closing Preview view.

In general I'm loving it. It's solving workflow issues I've had for years.

thanks
Simon

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2020, 01:42:23 PM »
Simon,

Please read the following post and use the link in it to make your feature request: http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=13555.0

Thanks,

-Kirk