Author Topic: Wrong catalog status for photos with non-ASCII path  (Read 2500 times)

Offline Ethan Welty

• View Profile
    • Ethan Welty Photography
Wrong catalog status for photos with non-ASCII path
« on: October 29, 2020, 09:21:42 AM »
Photo Mechanic Plus Version 6.0, build 5215 (abbcb1f)
Mac OS X 10.14.6

All my images are in my catalog, and appear in catalog searches with green circles. However, any folder that I open directly as a contact sheet that has a non-ASCII character in it (e.g. Rotondohütte, Milówka) shows all photos with empty circles, even though they are in the catalog. All other folders open with all images with green circles.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Wrong catalog status for photos with non-ASCII path
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2020, 10:15:30 AM »
Ethan,

Photo Mechanic Plus Version 6.0, build 5215 (abbcb1f)
Mac OS X 10.14.6

All my images are in my catalog, and appear in catalog searches with green circles. However, any folder that I open directly as a contact sheet that has a non-ASCII character in it (e.g. Rotondohütte, Milówka) shows all photos with empty circles, even though they are in the catalog. All other folders open with all images with green circles.

I just tried to reproduce the problem and I even copied your two names above and pasted them as folder names in the Finder and everything is working fine.  I can do a query that produces results from that folder and then choose Reveal in Context and the folder opens as a folder-based Contact Sheet and all of the green dots are set.  I also tried drag and drop of the folder from the Finder onto the Photo Mechanic Plus icon in the Dock and it opened and looked fine.  I also tried opening it from the Open Recent item on the File menu, still fine.

I'll need more information in order to reproduce the problem.  Can you post text from the folder names in the Finder, or perhaps make a small zip archive of a folder (it could be empty or have one small JPEG in it)?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Ethan Welty

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2020, 10:24:35 AM »
If I add a new image to one of those folders and click "Include in Catalog", it works as expected, so I suspect that this is specific to images added via "Scan to Catalog", as mine originally were. But I'm unable to replicate that way, either. So I don't know how we got here. But the end result is that I have some folders with images in the catalog, but show up as not being in the catalog if opened via the directory tree. Adding these to the catalog results in duplicate entries in the catalog.

Folder names:

200101 Rotondohütte (ski)
200118 Milówka

Folders with only
0-9 a-z A-Z ( ) & '
do not have this issue.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2020, 10:41:49 AM »
Ethan,

If I add a new image to one of those folders and click "Include in Catalog", it works as expected, so I suspect that this is specific to images added via "Scan to Catalog", as mine originally were. But I'm unable to replicate that way, either. So I don't know how we got here. But the end result is that I have some folders with images in the catalog, but show up as not being in the catalog if opened via the directory tree. Adding these to the catalog results in duplicate entries in the catalog.

Folder names:

200101 Rotondohütte (ski)
200118 Milówka

How old is the catalog and how long ago did you scan those folders into your catalog?

-Kirk

Offline Ethan Welty

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2020, 10:53:16 AM »
Created the catalog and started scanning on 7 October 2020 (it took several days to complete).