Author Topic: ":" in variable modifcation in "Save to this folder" replaced by "-"  (Read 2057 times)

Offline FairfieldPhoto

• View Profile
    • Fairfield Photography, LLC
I am trying to save a group of images separated into folders named <last name>_<first initial of first name>.

Since I have first name in {suppcat1} and last name in {suppcat2},

I thought if I put {suppcat2}_{suppcat1:0,1} in the "Save to this folder" part of "Destination" on the "Save As..." dialog panel, I would be able to get that result.  PM is replacing ":" with "-" because ":" is not allowed to be part of a filename in Windows.  It won't be if I can just close the variable with the }.

Not sure that this is a "bug" as much as probably a design compromise.  I could stuff the first initial in another ITPC field and retrieve it from there, but thought I was ask if this was considered, worked around, or not seen before.

if this has already been addressed, I apologize...I tried a search and didn't see anything along these lines.

-Mike

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: ":" in variable modifcation in "Save to this folder" replaced by "-"
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2020, 03:33:34 PM »
Mike,

I am trying to save a group of images separated into folders named <last name>_<first initial of first name>.

Since I have first name in {suppcat1} and last name in {suppcat2},

I thought if I put {suppcat2}_{suppcat1:0,1} in the "Save to this folder" part of "Destination" on the "Save As..." dialog panel, I would be able to get that result.  PM is replacing ":" with "-" because ":" is not allowed to be part of a filename in Windows.  It won't be if I can just close the variable with the }.

Not sure that this is a "bug" as much as probably a design compromise.  I could stuff the first initial in another ITPC field and retrieve it from there, but thought I was ask if this was considered, worked around, or not seen before.

Have you tried entering {suppcat2}_{suppcat1} and then edit suppcat1 to be suppcat1:0,1 ?

-Kirk

Offline FairfieldPhoto

• View Profile
    • Fairfield Photography, LLC
Re: ":" in variable modifcation in "Save to this folder" replaced by "-"
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2020, 04:31:29 PM »
No, I didn't.  Your suggestion worked great.  Close the variable first and then put the modifier in.

Thanks!