Author Topic: ETHERNET TRANSFER FROM CAMERA  (Read 3183 times)

Offline DGriffin980

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
ETHERNET TRANSFER FROM CAMERA
« on: November 02, 2020, 02:39:14 PM »
Ok, don't shoot me.  I have looked but cannot find a topic relevant to this.

I want to tether my Canon 1Dx to my MacBook Pro with an ethernet cable.  Can I ingest the images this way?  I am only 15 feet from my computer, but I want my images on them ready to be culled .

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: ETHERNET TRANSFER FROM CAMERA
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2020, 02:40:30 PM »
I want to tether my Canon 1Dx to my MacBook Pro with an ethernet cable.  Can I ingest the images this way?  I am only 15 feet from my computer, but I want my images on them ready to be culled .

No.  Photo Mechanic does not support tethering.

-Kirk

Offline David Maginnis

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2020, 12:36:00 PM »
I've recently been experimenting with tethering my 1DX MKiii to PM via EOS Utility on a Windows 10 laptop.  I've it working with both wifi or wired using USB cables between camera and laptop.  If you set EOS Utility to remote shooting, and select a folder to save the photos to on the laptop in preferences, then use this folder as the source folder for PM Live Ingest to pick up the images and transfer them to a secondary working folder you can then monitor the images as they appear on the PM image preview screen almost instantly. 
The only difficulty I'm having is when I take a sequence of photos, I always like to get to the last image and work back for editing.  Fn Home arrow will bring me back to the last image, but that requires 2 hands on the laptop.  I'd much prefer a single button shortcut as I'm editing as the action continues.  Other than that it works seamlessly and is surprisingly quick.

Offline Kevin M. Cox

• PM 6 (6890) | macOS 14.3
    • View Profile
    • Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2020, 04:16:38 PM »
Another option would be to use the camera's FTP function and run an FTP server on the computer. Then you can "tether" with ethernet, set PM to Live Ingest from the folder you are FTP'ing into and voila.
Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
https://www.instagram.com/kevin.m.cox/