Author Topic: Novice user - catalog update question and maintenance  (Read 1183 times)

Offline Catkin

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Novice user - catalog update question and maintenance
« on: December 01, 2021, 06:07:55 AM »
I'm new to PM+ having used PM6 for a couple of years. After populating a small test catalog, I have now uploaded one years images, but I have already run into trouble with my larger catalog requiring maintenance. I assume I need to do this re-integration as per screenshot to get myself out of this mess?

Is there a best practice for updating the catalog with images that have been added to it since it was first set up? e.g. I go from PM+ to Photolab, edit and save a full size jpeg in the same folder. How do I get that jpeg to appear in the original folder catalog? I was experimenting on how to do this when I have upset the catalog. I'm just trying to find my way before I register all of my other photos into the catalog.

I see I can go into catalog sync and then navigate to the folder in Finder but that requires many clicks and I was hoping to stay within PM+. I tried right clicking within the folder path in the browse on the catalog side and right clicking on the folder in the browse part and 'include to catalog sync'.

Also, a second (and possible stupid) question - is there a way to know on which disk an image resides if the disk is not currently mounted?

... and a third question... do you have to delete AND forget a catalog to make it go away  :)

Many thanks for any help.

Offline Catkin

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Novice user - catalog update question and maintenance
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2021, 08:14:37 AM »
Just to update, I reintegrated and the catalog is fine, but I'm still not quite sure what went awry.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2021, 09:15:57 AM »
I'm new to PM+ having used PM6 for a couple of years. After populating a small test catalog, I have now uploaded one years images, but I have already run into trouble with my larger catalog requiring maintenance. I assume I need to do this re-integration as per screenshot to get myself out of this mess?

Yes.  But how did you get into this mess?  This usually indicates that images that were added to the catalog cannot be found at their last known location.  Did you move or rename photos outside of Photo Mechanic Plus?

Is there a best practice for updating the catalog with images that have been added to it since it was first set up? e.g. I go from PM+ to Photolab, edit and save a full size jpeg in the same folder. How do I get that jpeg to appear in the original folder catalog?

Use the Catalog Sync feature.  https://docs.camerabits.com/support/solutions/articles/48001161171-catalog-sync

The "Quick mode" should suffice.

I see I can go into catalog sync and then navigate to the folder in Finder but that requires many clicks and I was hoping to stay within PM+. I tried right clicking within the folder path in the browse on the catalog side and right clicking on the folder in the browse part and 'include to catalog sync'.

You shouldn't need to do any of that if the images that you've added are in folders that have already been scanned for images for your catalog.

Also, a second (and possible stupid) question - is there a way to know on which disk an image resides if the disk is not currently mounted?

Select the image in question and look at its path in the status bar at the bottom of the contact sheet window.

... and a third question... do you have to delete AND forget a catalog to make it go away  :)

Delete should be all that is required.

-Kirk

Offline Catkin

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2021, 02:43:39 AM »
Thank you so much Kirk for taking the time. I realise I am a beginner with this.

But how did you get into this mess?  This usually indicates that images that were added to the catalog cannot be found at their last known location.  Did you move or rename photos outside of Photo Mechanic Plus?
I don't believe I will have moved folders (I have used Lightroom and understand the consequences). I thought I had only tried to scan the individual folder, but it is possible I renamed an image though cannot remember doing so. It is interesting to note that renaming an image outside of PM+ could result in this though.
I did do a test on renaming a folder outside of PM+ and relocating it with no problem on my test catalog.

Use the Catalog Sync feature.  https://docs.camerabits.com/support/solutions/articles/48001161171-catalog-sync

The "Quick mode" should suffice.
I have just tried this (browsed in PM+, E to edit a raw file in PhotoLab, then exported a jpeg to the original folder). It appears it syncs the whole catalog even if I just specify the one folder, but it synced the 16k photos pretty quickly so that is not prohibitive, and in future I'll just quick sync the whole catalog. A good reason to do a catalog per year I guess.

Select the image in question and look at its path in the status bar at the bottom of the contact sheet window.
That is brilliant, thank you!

Delete should be all that is required.

-Kirk

Great, and thank you again for taking the time to reply.