Author Topic: Mac: BrowseWithPMService on PM+  (Read 2935 times)

Offline ron_hiner

• View Profile
Mac: BrowseWithPMService on PM+
« on: November 03, 2020, 02:32:41 PM »
I have PM and I'm trialing PM+. 

I copied BrowsewithPMService  (dated 11/1/18) from the PM+ disk image to the /library/services/ folder as per instructions.

However, every time I try to use it, it tries to launch PM -- not PM+ as desired.  The error box comes up the the PM logo (yellow iris) vs. the PM+ logo (green iris).  The error is: "Another instance of Photo Mechanic is already running.  This instance will now terminate.  Please quit the other instance and launch this one again."

Do I need to delete the PM install to run PM+?

Oh, and separate, but FYI, I get the trial date countdown message box when I open PM - that shouldn't happen.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Mac: BrowseWithPMService on PM+
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2020, 02:42:49 PM »
Ron,

I have PM and I'm trialing PM+. 

I copied BrowsewithPMService  (dated 11/1/18) from the PM+ disk image to the /library/services/ folder as per instructions.

However, every time I try to use it, it tries to launch PM -- not PM+ as desired.  The error box comes up the the PM logo (yellow iris) vs. the PM+ logo (green iris).  The error is: "Another instance of Photo Mechanic is already running.  This instance will now terminate.  Please quit the other instance and launch this one again."

Do I need to delete the PM install to run PM+?

No.  But you do need to tell the service to launch Photo Mechanic Plus if you want it to be launched instead of Photo Mechanic 6.  The service can launch either version.

From the ReadMe.txt document that comes with the service in the Extras folder on the installer disk image:

Q: I installed the service, but it's still not working.

A: Try holding down the OPTION key while selecting "Browse with Photo Mechanic." You should be shown a dialog to choose an application. Select Photo Mechanic here once, and it should work normally after that.

You should select your Photo Mechanic Plus application.

Oh, and separate, but FYI, I get the trial date countdown message box when I open PM - that shouldn't happen.

Update your Photo Mechanic 6 version and it should stop saying that.  Your Photo Mechanic 6 is a bit old if it is displaying that message.

-Kirk

Offline ron_hiner

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2020, 08:58:49 AM »
Thanks Kirk!   I tried that before and it didn't work for me.  I tried again and it worked.  It turns out it matters exactly when the option key is pressed!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2020, 09:31:30 AM »
Ron,

Thanks Kirk!   I tried that before and it didn't work for me.  I tried again and it worked.  It turns out it matters exactly when the option key is pressed!

Yes, you have to keep it down while choosing the contextual menu item and for a few seconds after.

-Kirk

Offline Craig_S44

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2021, 05:17:11 PM »
Hi,  I upgraded to PMP on the weekend. I just had did this, pressing the option key - and it brought up the box to choose the version that I wanted to use - but I could not select anything in the list. All I could do was move the scroll bar or cancel the window.  I worked out that to choose the version - or anything for that matter - I needed to then press the command key.  I have not seen that in the Read me doc for the services menu - should it happen that way?

I am on Catalina 10.15.7 and using this version of PM:  Photo Mechanic Plus Version 6.0, build 6097 (85d1687)

Works now, so yay.

Craig

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2021, 06:29:09 PM »
Craig,

Hi,  I upgraded to PMP on the weekend. I just had did this, pressing the option key - and it brought up the box to choose the version that I wanted to use - but I could not select anything in the list. All I could do was move the scroll bar or cancel the window.  I worked out that to choose the version - or anything for that matter - I needed to then press the command key.  I have not seen that in the Read me doc for the services menu - should it happen that way?

I wouldn't have expected so, but Apple keeps changing things.  I can't even build the service anymore with the latest Xcode so hopefully it keeps working for a while longer.

-Kirk

Offline Craig_S44

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2021, 06:33:01 PM »
I can't even build the service anymore with the latest Xcode so hopefully it keeps working for a while longer.

Oh geez, I hope so - I use that all the time.