Author Topic: Remove folder of images from catalogue?  (Read 7489 times)

Offline myotis

• View Profile
Remove folder of images from catalogue?
« on: November 07, 2020, 10:53:56 AM »
How do I remove an entire folder and sub-folders from a catalogue (30,000 raw files) in one go?. I know I can remove "selected" files, but is there a quicker way.

I was adding to the catalogue on ingest, with the primary destination for files saved in an "originals do not edit"  folder, with duplicates going to a secondary destination as my  "working files" folder. This was how I had it set up with PM5 and PM6 (minis the cataloguing bit)

This made sense at the time, but with PM6 Plus the secondary destination isn't catalogued on ingest only the primary destination (which is fine) so my working files weren't getting catalogued, which are the ones I want catalogued.

Not realising what was going on (until now) I was manually adding the files in my "working files" folder to the catalogue as I went.

I have now switched the primary destination and secondary destination around, but it means that I currently have all my original "do not edit" files and all my "working" files in the same catalogue.

I would like to therefore remove all the "do not edit" files from this catalogue, and I'm not sure of the easiest way of doing this.

Thanks,

Graham

Offline Soizic

• View Profile
Re: Remove folder of images from catalogue?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2020, 11:30:23 PM »
hi
I did a test for ingest and found that it all depends on the "auto catalog" and "auto ingest" boxes.
If the first one is checked but not the second one, the secondary folder does not appear in the catalog.
Soizic (France)
MacBook Pro M1,Ventura, PM+ à jour, deepl translator

Offline myotis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2020, 11:45:30 PM »
hi
I did a test for ingest and found that it all depends on the "auto catalog" and "auto ingest" boxes.
If the first one is checked but not the second one, the secondary folder does not appear in the catalog.

Thanks for that, as you suggest, I have "auto catalog" ticked but not "auto ingest" ticked.

Cheers,

Graham

Offline Soizic

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2020, 08:59:55 AM »
Hello I've looked at your problem I think it can be solved by sorting the photos by folder paths. You can choose all the photos in a folder with the sub-folders with the sub-folders and use the context menuGood morning
I've looked at your problem and I think it can be solved by sorting the photos by the folder paths.
You can choose all the photos in a folder with sub-folders with sub-folders and use the context menu attention you can either remove them from the catalog or destroy them ; attention you can either remove them from the catalog or destroy them.

I work a lot at the moment to better choose my way of working between PM and C1.
Soizic (France)
MacBook Pro M1,Ventura, PM+ à jour, deepl translator

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2020, 02:31:52 PM »
Graham,

How do I remove an entire folder and sub-folders from a catalogue (30,000 raw files) in one go?. I know I can remove "selected" files, but is there a quicker way.

I was adding to the catalogue on ingest, with the primary destination for files saved in an "originals do not edit"  folder, with duplicates going to a secondary destination as my  "working files" folder. This was how I had it set up with PM5 and PM6 (minis the cataloguing bit)

This made sense at the time, but with PM6 Plus the secondary destination isn't catalogued on ingest only the primary destination (which is fine) so my working files weren't getting catalogued, which are the ones I want catalogued.

Not realising what was going on (until now) I was manually adding the files in my "working files" folder to the catalogue as I went.

I have now switched the primary destination and secondary destination around, but it means that I currently have all my original "do not edit" files and all my "working" files in the same catalogue.

I would like to therefore remove all the "do not edit" files from this catalogue, and I'm not sure of the easiest way of doing this.

In the Favorites or Navigator you should be able to right-click on the folder (after navigating to it) and choosing "Move to Trash" and the catalog should be informed of the delete that you did.

-Kirk

Offline myotis

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2020, 11:07:53 PM »
Graham,
In the Favorites or Navigator you should be able to right-click on the folder (after navigating to it) and choosing "Move to Trash" and the catalog should be informed of the delete that you did.

-Kirk

Thanks Kirk,

I didn't try this as with PM6, I thought "Move to trash" removed  the original files from the disc into the trash.

It could be different with PM6+ as PM6 obviously didn't have any catalogue information to delete from the catalogue.

However, I've just tried it (on a single folder not all 30,000 images) and without any warning dialog box the actual raw files were moved to trash, which I've now re-instated.

Is this a bug, should this now work differently in PM6+. It does work like this with other DAMs where you get a dialog box asking if you want to only remove the file from the catalogue, or want to delete the original file.

I had previously tried selecting all 30,000 images, right clicking on the top level folder and choosing "exclude when scanning to catalog" but running the scan, "added" the images that had been ingested by PM4/5/6 into the catalogue, rather than removing the ones that had been ingested by PM6+.

Graham

Offline myotis

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2020, 11:12:36 PM »
Good morning
I've looked at your problem and I think it can be solved by sorting the photos by the folder paths.
You can choose all the photos in a folder with sub-folders with sub-folders and use the context menu attention you can either remove them from the catalog or destroy them
I work a lot at the moment to better choose my way of working between PM and C1.

Thanks, but unfortunately, I'm not sure what you mean, right clicking doesn't give me an option to remove from catalogue or delete (destroy).

Graham

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2020, 08:31:39 AM »
Graham,

I didn't try this as with PM6, I thought "Move to trash" removed  the original files from the disc into the trash.

It could be different with PM6+ as PM6 obviously didn't have any catalogue information to delete from the catalogue.

However, I've just tried it (on a single folder not all 30,000 images) and without any warning dialog box the actual raw files were moved to trash, which I've now re-instated.

My mistake.  I thought you wanted the images to be deleted as well as removing them from the catalog.

Is this a bug, should this now work differently in PM6+. It does work like this with other DAMs where you get a dialog box asking if you want to only remove the file from the catalogue, or want to delete the original file.

No, not a bug, but a misunderstanding of what you wanted to accomplish.

I had previously tried selecting all 30,000 images, right clicking on the top level folder and choosing "exclude when scanning to catalog" but running the scan, "added" the images that had been ingested by PM4/5/6 into the catalogue, rather than removing the ones that had been ingested by PM6+.

You were close.  You only needed to select the images and choose "Remove from Catalog" from the Catalog menu.  Scan to Catalog will only ever add images (or skip some).

-Kirk

Offline myotis

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2020, 09:28:28 AM »
You were close.  You only needed to select the images and choose "Remove from Catalog" from the Catalog menu.  Scan to Catalog will only ever add images (or skip some).

Thanks, so the only way is to load the thumbnails into the viewer, select them and then choose "remove from catalog".

I can't select a folder to remove from catalogue? This would obviously be much quicker when you are removing large numbers of images, rather than just refining images included in a catalogue.  If that is correct, this might be an option worth considering for the future, even though I assume this sort of mass fixing of a catalogue won't happen very often

And on the other point I raised, should I have had a warning dialog box when I sent the folder to the trash? Or is this something that is switched on and off in preferences.

Graham

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2020, 09:52:07 AM »
Graham,

Thanks, so the only way is to load the thumbnails into the viewer, select them and then choose "remove from catalog".

Currently, yes.

I can't select a folder to remove from catalogue? This would obviously be much quicker when you are removing large numbers of images, rather than just refining images included in a catalogue.  If that is correct, this might be an option worth considering for the future, even though I assume this sort of mass fixing of a catalogue won't happen very often

I think it would be a worthy feature to add.

And on the other point I raised, should I have had a warning dialog box when I sent the folder to the trash? Or is this something that is switched on and off in preferences.

It's a preference.  See my attached image below.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline myotis

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2020, 10:04:36 AM »

Thanks Kirk for your answers, off to do some fixing and changing of preferences :-)

Cheers,

Graham

Offline myotis

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2020, 06:08:56 AM »

Two further questions:

1.  My "Never warn of deleting photo" is unticked, as in your screen shot, but I'm not being warned. 

Move photos to trash when deleting "is" ticked, so is there some subtle combination of tick box selections needed for me to get a warning.

2. I've now removed all the unintentionally included files from my catalogue, which has more than halved the number of images being catalogued BUT, the proxies folder has stayed the same size at 37GB, and the database folder is 72GB in size. 

I'm puzzled by the 72GB. Adding up the sizes of all the files inside the database folder only comes to 39GB, so I guess there has to be some hidden files (that don't show up as hidden files in Pathfinder) that are adding to this total.

Is there a specific maintenance routine I need to now run to get this down in size.

Edit: I now note that the entire folder structure is 109GB

>PhotoMechanicCatalogues (109Gb)
>>PM6_Master (75Gb)
>>>Proxies (37Gb)
>>>Catalog_undo.pmdb  etc

Only the PM_Master is inside the PhotoMechanicCatalogues folder so there seems to be a lot of invisible files in this foleder

Thanks,

Graham

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2020, 09:13:25 AM »
Graham,

Two further questions:

1.  My "Never warn of deleting photo" is unticked, as in your screen shot, but I'm not being warned. 

Move photos to trash when deleting "is" ticked, so is there some subtle combination of tick box selections needed for me to get a warning.

OK, I'll look into it.

2. I've now removed all the unintentionally included files from my catalogue, which has more than halved the number of images being catalogued BUT, the proxies folder has stayed the same size at 37GB, and the database folder is 72GB in size. 

I'm puzzled by the 72GB. Adding up the sizes of all the files inside the database folder only comes to 39GB, so I guess there has to be some hidden files (that don't show up as hidden files in Pathfinder) that are adding to this total.

Is there a specific maintenance routine I need to now run to get this down in size.

Edit: I now note that the entire folder structure is 109GB

>PhotoMechanicCatalogues (109Gb)
>>PM6_Master (75Gb)
>>>Proxies (37Gb)
>>>Catalog_undo.pmdb  etc

Only the PM_Master is inside the PhotoMechanicCatalogues folder so there seems to be a lot of invisible files in this foleder

There shouldn't be any hidden files.  Are you calculating this size from the size in bytes of each file, or how much disk space is allocated?  The two figures can be quite off from each other depending on the block size your format uses and the size of the individual files.  For instance, if your disk format is 1KiB and a file is only 512B then the size used is off by 512B for just one file.  Multiply these errors by many thousands of files and the difference can be significant.

As for the size not going down after removing images from the catalog, that may be a bug.  It's possible that the proxies for those images were not deleted.

-Kirk

Offline myotis

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2020, 09:50:58 AM »

There shouldn't be any hidden files.  Are you calculating this size from the size in bytes of each file, or how much disk space is allocated?  The two figures can be quite off from each other depending on the block size your format uses and the size of the individual files.  For instance, if your disk format is 1KiB and a file is only 512B then the size used is off by 512B for just one file.  Multiply these errors by many thousands of files and the difference can be significant.

As for the size not going down after removing images from the catalog, that may be a bug.  It's possible that the proxies for those images were not deleted.

-Kirk

I don't know how the sizes are being calculated, I'm just right clicking on the folder in Pathfinder and opening the folder info panel.

However,  I have just tried with Finder and Daisydisk, and both report the folder being 37.1gb, which is what it was yesterday. So I'm confused with what Pathfinder is doing. I will contact their support.

But, it still appears that the proxies have not been deleted as the folder size has been 37-38gb both today and yesterday despite more than halving the number of files being catalogued.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Graham

Offline Bill Kelly

• Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2020, 11:23:36 AM »
Hi Graham,

But, it still appears that the proxies have not been deleted as the folder size has been 37-38gb both today and yesterday despite more than halving the number of files being catalogued.

We've identified a problem that can cause Catalog delete or rename operations to become "stuck" when the operation is performed on large numbers of files. (Discussed briefly in this thread.)

The deletion of preview proxies is among the cases that can become stuck.

We have a fix for the underlying problem ready for the next build. We're also looking at ways to resynchronize the proxy folder with what's currently in the catalog, since as you are finding it can become out of sync due to this issue.

Regards,

Bill