Author Topic: Metadata (IPTC) Template  (Read 2883 times)

Offline David Roth

• View Profile
Metadata (IPTC) Template
« on: November 08, 2020, 09:16:03 AM »
Recently, I've notice a several second delay in opening the metadata form for an individual image and opening the stationery template. The application of the template to one or multiple images appears to be functioning satisfactorily. Is there a buffer size or parameter somewhere that could be changed to speed this up?

Secondly, I've been trying to reacquaint myself with the operation of the Load and Save buttons on the form and template. When I enter those key words into the search box of the online manual, I get no relevant results. I don't know whether this is the fault of the indexing or whether the manual does not address it. I seem to recall other searches I've made that failed to come up with, what should be easy, results.

Dave Roth

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Metadata (IPTC) Template
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2020, 02:20:26 PM »
Dave,

Recently, I've notice a several second delay in opening the metadata form for an individual image and opening the stationery template. The application of the template to one or multiple images appears to be functioning satisfactorily. Is there a buffer size or parameter somewhere that could be changed to speed this up?

What build of Photo Mechanic are you running and what OS are you running it on?

Secondly, I've been trying to reacquaint myself with the operation of the Load and Save buttons on the form and template. When I enter those key words into the search box of the online manual, I get no relevant results. I don't know whether this is the fault of the indexing or whether the manual does not address it. I seem to recall other searches I've made that failed to come up with, what should be easy, results.

If you have some specific questions, feel free to ask and I'll see what I can do to answer them.

-Kirk

Offline David Roth

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2020, 06:57:07 AM »
Sorry, should have included this in the first place: PM 6 build 5260. Windows 10 version 2004

Are the "Load" and "Save" commands a way to save templates with different fields showing or does it save the editable drop-down data in those fields that allow it?

Thanks.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2020, 11:05:16 AM »
David,

Sorry, should have included this in the first place: PM 6 build 5260. Windows 10 version 2004

Are the "Load" and "Save" commands a way to save templates with different fields showing or does it save the editable drop-down data in those fields that allow it?

Only the text you currently have in each field is saved.  On load, the fields defined in the file are loaded into the fields.  The field lists are not represented in the file.

-Kirk

Offline David Roth

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2020, 12:06:11 PM »
Thanks Kirk.

So how do the Load/Save buttons differ from the Snapshot, which I have been using for the same thing?

About the slow loading, that appears to have shortened significantly. There is only a very slight delay to open the Metadata information or template, which is acceptable. The system wasn't rebooted, so I can't attribute the improvement to that. I had restarted PM6 several times earlier to see if that would help, but it did not. This time, the machine had just sat idle overnight with PM still running and it cleared up. Maybe an external process interfering?

Since I can't reproduce the problem, we'll have to wait to see if it occurs again.

Dave Roth

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2020, 12:35:04 PM »
Dave,

Thanks Kirk.

So how do the Load/Save buttons differ from the Snapshot, which I have been using for the same thing?

They differ mostly in convenience and share-ability.  They both save and restore the exact same information.  People that use the Load and Save buttons are organizations that pass the saved file around to their groups of editors and they load them when they receive them (email attachments, dropbox, etc.)  Sharing snapshots isn't as easy.

About the slow loading, that appears to have shortened significantly. There is only a very slight delay to open the Metadata information or template, which is acceptable. The system wasn't rebooted, so I can't attribute the improvement to that. I had restarted PM6 several times earlier to see if that would help, but it did not. This time, the machine had just sat idle overnight with PM still running and it cleared up. Maybe an external process interfering?

Since I can't reproduce the problem, we'll have to wait to see if it occurs again.

OK, keep an eye out for it.

-Kirk