Author Topic: IPTC/XMP settings/problems  (Read 3089 times)

Offline MartinNL

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • martin nillesen fotografie
IPTC/XMP settings/problems
« on: April 20, 2007, 03:58:57 AM »
Hi,

Im running PM 4.5 on a Windows XP/SP2 and use also PS CS2 I am having trouble inserting my data into my Canon RAW files (CR2 and CRW)
and or XMP sidecars. When reading back the data in PS CS2 or Bridge, I seem to "loose" some of the data. Since my clients use Bridge and Photoshop they "conviently" miss instructions like "newspapers out" 

How should I set my prefs in the PM IPTC/XMP tab, when I want to write as much info into the raw file itself. I usually convert my raws to tiff when I´m done processing. As far I understand it, not all data can be embedded. Should I also opt for a XMP sidecar?

I´m a complete newbie in this respect.

Regards,
Martin.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: IPTC/XMP settings/problems
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 06:26:48 AM »
Martin,

Im running PM 4.5 on a Windows XP/SP2 and use also PS CS2 I am having trouble inserting my data into my Canon RAW files (CR2 and CRW)
and or XMP sidecars. When reading back the data in PS CS2 or Bridge, I seem to "loose" some of the data. Since my clients use Bridge and Photoshop they "conviently" miss instructions like "newspapers out" 

How should I set my prefs in the PM IPTC/XMP tab, when I want to write as much info into the raw file itself. I usually convert my raws to tiff when I´m done processing. As far I understand it, not all data can be embedded. Should I also opt for a XMP sidecar?

Adobe's products do not work well when XMP data is embedded into RAW files.  If you want to embed some metadata anyway, only embed IPTC data into your RAW files.  Always use an XMP sidecar workflow with RAW files and Adobe products.

The following settings are good for Adobe products:

[attachment deleted by admin]