Author Topic: dpi TIFF to Jpeg  (Read 2959 times)

Offline BobBalestri

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
dpi TIFF to Jpeg
« on: November 06, 2020, 03:59:58 PM »
When I save a Tif file to Jpeg, the dpi gets changed from 300dpi to 72dpi.

My Save As Screen attached  specifies 300dpi so what's up?

Thanks - Bob

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: dpi TIFF to Jpeg
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2020, 04:05:44 PM »
When I save a Tif file to Jpeg, the dpi gets changed from 300dpi to 72dpi.

My Save As Screen attached  specifies 300dpi so what's up?

Sounds like a bug, Bob.  What build of Photo Mechanic are you running?

-Kirk

Offline BobBalestri

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2020, 05:56:33 PM »
Build 5260 (0666e52)

Mojave - 10.14.6

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2020, 08:46:20 AM »
Bob,

We tried to reproduce the problem with a 300 DPI TIFF file and we get a 300 DPI JPEG file.  Could you share the JPEG that Photo Mechanic 6 produced?  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG image.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline BobBalestri

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2020, 05:47:20 AM »
Original TIFF and Jpegs attached, won't post with Tiff and Jpeg file attached,  sending dropbox link

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/g7ih2sfzb8h3jxe/AACjZ4jdNikQI3XzDyilTzaEa?dl=0

Thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2020, 11:03:40 AM »
Original TIFF and Jpegs attached, won't post with Tiff and Jpeg file attached,  sending dropbox link

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/g7ih2sfzb8h3jxe/AACjZ4jdNikQI3XzDyilTzaEa?dl=0

Thank you for the files, Bob.  We'll take a look and get back to you.

-Kirk

Offline BobBalestri

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2020, 03:49:49 AM »
Also of note is that when I use the PM tool to extract the jpeg image for a NEF file, the resolution is also 72 dpi.  Here's the run, the 72dpi file are considerably smaller than the 300 dpi files and my agencies kick them out automatically for being too small.  Here is a link to a set of NEF, TIF, and Jpegs if interested/

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zrhjgliyptsgrvh/AAB3SzWoLui80GXN9G_Dxdbba?dl=0

Offline kvazar21

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2020, 04:24:06 AM »
I apologize for messing with the correspondence (and for my bad English too), but I opened both jpegs and my Photoshop shows that they are both 300 ppi and both have the same pixel size, exactly the same size as the TIFF file. The difference is that they have different sizes in MB, only from that the files are processed differently (one of them seems more contrast).

Please note that you are confusing the terms ppi and dpi, they are not equal to each other and as long as you view the file on the monitor screen they have absolutely no meaning. I also work in the Agency and note the fact that 99% of people with whom I work do not understand the terms dpi and ppi and what this characteristic affects.

If agency refusing file 4000х3000px with 72ppi, but accepts it with 300ppi - they also doesn't know anything about dpi\ppi.

Sorry for using Google translate, hope you understand what i mean, you can also read something about ppi and dpi difference in good source.

Offline Dub

• View Profile
    • instantsphotos
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2020, 04:52:26 AM »
I apologize for messing with the correspondence (and for my bad English too), but I opened both jpegs and my Photoshop shows that they are both 300 ppi and both have the same pixel size, exactly the same size as the TIFF file. The difference is that they have different sizes in MB, only from that the files are processed differently (one of them seems more contrast).

Please note that you are confusing the terms ppi and dpi, they are not equal to each other and as long as you view the file on the monitor screen they have absolutely no meaning. I also work in the Agency and note the fact that 99% of people with whom I work do not understand the terms dpi and ppi and what this characteristic affects.

+1

I guess BobBalestri has to open its files with an application that modifies the photo at 72dpi automatically at opening.
Don't forget to check the "preferences" of this application...
French and "English" with DeepL ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
MPB 13" M1 / Monterey
https://instantsphotos.fr/