Author Topic: Improvement between PM and C1  (Read 4264 times)

Offline Soizic

• View Profile
Improvement between PM and C1
« on: November 13, 2020, 06:47:15 AM »

Hello
Each Capture One session has four folders in which you can divide the photos as you wish. For example, there is the trash can where I keep photos that can be retrieved.
I don't want to see these folders in my catalog; it's easy to exclude a folder from a single session, but I have many sections and I would like to be able to exclude from the scan in one operation all folders with a given name, for example trash can.
Can we expect such a change in the future?
Thank you
Soizic (France)
MacBook Pro M1,Ventura, PM+ à jour, deepl translator

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Improvement between PM and C1
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2020, 08:03:55 AM »
Soizic,

Each Capture One session has four folders in which you can divide the photos as you wish. For example, there is the trash can where I keep photos that can be retrieved.
I don't want to see these folders in my catalog; it's easy to exclude a folder from a single session, but I have many sections and I would like to be able to exclude from the scan in one operation all folders with a given name, for example trash can.

Can you post a screenshot of what the C1 Session folder hierarchy looks like?  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screenshot.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Soizic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2020, 02:20:25 AM »
this is :

Session Grignan-2019
Capture: pictures on hold
Select: RAW (and JPG for PM combine), treated
treated: other jpg archived elsewhere
trash : allows regrets Capturons

4 CaptureOne contains the settings
Soizic (France)

Offline Soizic

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2020, 02:23:04 AM »
I lost 7 JPG !
Soizic (France)

Offline Odd Skjaeveland

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2020, 06:13:54 AM »
Can you post a screenshot of what the C1 Session folder hierarchy looks like?

That may not be as simple as it sounds. The term "C1 Session folder" is probably a good start because it exists on disk. A session has a name, "MySession",say. By default, the name of the Session folder reflects the sesson name. That is not set in stone though, but MySession will normally be in a session folder MySession somewhere in a path on disk, say /home/users/username/images/captureone/sessions/MySession.

The most prominent member in the MySession folder is a session database file (SQLite3). The database file will (by default) be MySession.cosessiondb if we continue along the same line. There may be, and typically are 4 sub folders in the MySession folder. They are Capture, Selects, Output and Trash in the English language GUI. If we think of the session folder MySession as a root in the file system, it looks like

MySession/
  Capture/
  Selects/
  Output/
  Trash/
  MySession.cosessiondb

The C1 GUI has a "Session Folders section". That section lists (by default) the 4 folder names "Capture", "Selects", "Output" and "Trash". It has confused many C1 users to believe that they are the actual disk folders, but no, they are virtual folders/links/pointers. The user can navigate to any folder on disk and make it become the sessions's "Capture", "Selects", "Output" or "Trash". All 4 may link/point to one common folder on disk. It is just a happy or perhaps unhappy coincidence that the GUI Session folder "Capture" by default points to a disk folder named Capture inside the MySession disk folder.

C1 session users that swear by the "dummy session" technique, exploit this to their maximum benefit, they may have just one DummySession represented by a MyOnlySession folder for a SQLite3 SomethingElse.cosessiondb and images spread all over their storage media space. Then there are Session Favorite folders on disk.

C1 processing circles around functionality related to predefined sub folder names (Capture, Selects, Output, Trash) in a session's folder, but they may or may not exist on disk and may or may not be in the expected location.

My advice would be to investigate closely and get in touch with PhaseOne/CaptureOne before you begin :-)

--
Odd S.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2020, 06:31:05 AM »
Odd,

Can you post a screenshot of what the C1 Session folder hierarchy looks like?

That may not be as simple as it sounds. The term "C1 Session folder" is probably a good start because it exists on disk. A session has a name, "MySession",say. By default, the name of the Session folder reflects the sesson name. That is not set in stone though, but MySession will normally be in a session folder MySession somewhere in a path on disk, say /home/users/username/images/captureone/sessions/MySession.

The most prominent member in the MySession folder is a session database file (SQLite3). The database file will (by default) be MySession.cosessiondb if we continue along the same line. There may be, and typically are 4 sub folders in the MySession folder. They are Capture, Selects, Output and Trash in the English language GUI. If we think of the session folder MySession as a root in the file system, it looks like

MySession/
  Capture/
  Selects/
  Output/
  Trash/
  MySession.cosessiondb

The C1 GUI has a "Session Folders section". That section lists (by default) the 4 folder names "Capture", "Selects", "Output" and "Trash". It has confused many C1 users to believe that they are the actual disk folders, but no, they are virtual folders/links/pointers. The user can navigate to any folder on disk and make it become the sessions's "Capture", "Selects", "Output" or "Trash". All 4 may link/point to one common folder on disk. It is just a happy or perhaps unhappy coincidence that the GUI Session folder "Capture" by default points to a disk folder named Capture inside the MySession disk folder.

C1 session users that swear by the "dummy session" technique, exploit this to their maximum benefit, they may have just one DummySession represented by a MyOnlySession folder for a SQLite3 SomethingElse.cosessiondb and images spread all over their storage media space. Then there are Session Favorite folders on disk.

C1 processing circles around functionality related to predefined sub folder names (Capture, Selects, Output, Trash) in a session's folder, but they may or may not exist on disk and may or may not be in the expected location.

My advice would be to investigate closely and get in touch with PhaseOne/CaptureOne before you begin :-)

We wouldn't be adding a specific C1 solution.  Instead we would be adding a solution where the user could specify patterns of folder relationships to ignore.  I think what Soizic is wanting is the ability to point Scan to Catalog to the folder containing all of her selections and then have the scan ignore all of the folders that aren't the Selects folder in each of the session folders.  It would be up to the user to craft a solution that works for them (test for truth) and then as long as C1 doesn't change where the 'wanted' files are located then it will continue to work correctly.

We will have to think on a good solution that isn't too hard to use.

-Kirk

Offline Soizic

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2020, 12:16:39 PM »
Yes Kirk, it ils exactly what I wish.
Thanks
Soizic (France)

Offline Soizic

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2020, 01:21:46 AM »
Yes I know that the files can be aliases pointing elsewhere but I'm talking about my archives where the files actually contain the photos.
I may wish for two catalogs: one for the treated photos, the other for the pending photos.
That's why the idea of excluding folders that are only named seems desirable and not unrealistic since it is an option in ChronoSync.

There's no hurry, I admire the work done by the team!
Soizic (France)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2021, 11:16:45 AM »
Soizic,

Can we expect such a change in the future?

Implemented in this build: http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=13890.0

Offline fourdogslong

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2021, 05:31:56 PM »

That's great! How long before it becomes an official update?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2021, 05:54:23 PM »

That's great! How long before it becomes an official update?

Another week or two.

-Kirk

Offline Soizic

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2021, 10:45:32 PM »
Thanks, it works fine
Soizic (France)