Author Topic: Stuck on Catalog Metadata Gathering  (Read 4418 times)

Offline daddio

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Stuck on Catalog Metadata Gathering
« on: October 27, 2020, 04:36:43 AM »
I've seen other posts about this and not sure if I should have responded to those directly, but I am having the same issue. When adding a first folder to my catalog, it gets stuck "Preparing" the Catalog Metadata Gathering step.

I am running Windows 10 and accessing a folder on an external USB-C drive.

Thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Stuck on Catalog Metadata Gathering
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2020, 09:27:58 AM »
I've seen other posts about this and not sure if I should have responded to those directly, but I am having the same issue. When adding a first folder to my catalog, it gets stuck "Preparing" the Catalog Metadata Gathering step.

I am running Windows 10 and accessing a folder on an external USB-C drive.

Thank you.

First, download and install this build: https://www.camerabits.com/download/PMPlusSetupR5221_994a5988.msi

Then could you open up the Catalog Status window (Catalog->Catalog Status...) and cancel pending jobs via the two "Stop" buttons, please?

And once that's done could you turn on Catalog debug logging and post the log?  From the Help menu, choose "Edit Debug Settings..." and find the item titled CATALOG_DEBUG_LOGGING and set its checkbox.  Then click the Close button.  Then restart Photo Mechanic Plus and start your catalog scan again.  When you see the building process stalled again then go to the Help menu and choose "Reveal Support Data..." and moments later a Windows Explorer window will come forward with the zipped log file selected.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your zipped PM log file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline daddio

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2020, 10:45:13 AM »
Here you go.

Thank you

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2020, 11:10:19 AM »
Here you go.

Thank you

Did you install the new build?  We're still seeing the problem in your log that the build above fixes.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline daddio

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2020, 04:35:55 AM »
I'm so sorry, I totally missed the part asking to install a new build.

I restarted the process with the new build and it made it's way about 90% through the "Catalog Metadata Gathering" step which before didn't even look like it moved, but then stalled again.

Attached is the log.

Thanks once again.

Offline Bill Kelly

• Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2020, 11:36:47 AM »
I restarted the process with the new build and it made it's way about 90% through the "Catalog Metadata Gathering" step which before didn't even look like it moved, but then stalled again.

Thanks for the upload.

Unfortunately, it's unclear in the logfile how a stall might have occurred.

What the logs seem to show:

- A run of Photo Mechanic Plus at 7:05 AM, with hundreds of errors relating to generating proxy preview images for the Catalog. A flood of errors like this might suggest the drive (R:) may have become unmounted, making the files unreachable. (We'll be working on providing notifications when such errors occur, instead of just logging them.)

- A second run, from 7:05 to 7:25 AM, which appears to show a successful Catalog Sync operation. No errors were logged in this run, and the Sync seemed to have completed successfully.

Were you ever able to proceed past the point where you described the stall at 90% ?

Thanks,

Bill

Offline daddio

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2020, 05:12:45 PM »
- A run of Photo Mechanic Plus at 7:05 AM, with hundreds of errors relating to generating proxy preview images for the Catalog. A flood of errors like this might suggest the drive (R:) may have become unmounted, making the files unreachable. (We'll be working on providing notifications when such errors occur, instead of just logging them.)

My fault, I had not plugged in the drive before running it the first time.

- A second run, from 7:05 to 7:25 AM, which appears to show a successful Catalog Sync operation. No errors were logged in this run, and the Sync seemed to have completed successfully.

For the second run, the status stopped at about 1000 or so images remaining to be catalogued with about 13 minutes remaining if I remember correctly. I left it there a while before generating the log and it didn't move.

I just tried again now, when I first started it up it gave the status message that it was preparing the catalogue step and wasn't moving. I stopped the two processes as instructed to do in your initial response and then tried to sync and it seems to go through and say all is up to date. All statuses are now Idle.

Thank you for all your help.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2020, 06:04:04 PM »
Can I get you to zip up all of the logs and post them here?  I think the easiest way to do that is to use the "Reveal Support Data.." menu item on the Help menu, but instead of sending us the zip file that is produced, look for all of the numbered dyn.log files, select them all and then right-click on the selection and choose 'Send to'->'Compressed (zipped) folder' which will now make a zip file (I don't know what name Windows Explorer will give it though) that you can post here.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your manually created zip file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline daddio

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2020, 04:05:15 AM »
Here are the dyn log files.

Thank you.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2020, 05:16:16 PM »
Please try the interim build, available here: http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=13663.0

Thanks,

-Kirk