Author Topic: DNG images don't display  (Read 4608 times)

Offline schwerd

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
DNG images don't display
« on: November 16, 2020, 12:19:12 PM »
shooting RAW images on new iphone.  DNG files show up in catalog, but are blank. seems odd that standard DNG are not rendered properly.  anyone else seeing this?  am I doing something wrong?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: DNG images don't display
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2020, 01:16:04 PM »
shooting RAW images on new iphone.  DNG files show up in catalog, but are blank. seems odd that standard DNG are not rendered properly.  anyone else seeing this?  am I doing something wrong?

I expect that your DNG files don't have embedded previews.  You can try using the Adobe DNG Converter to update them with a full size preview and then I expect that they'll show up fine in Photo Mechanic and Photo Mechanic Plus.

-Kirk

Offline schwerd

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2020, 02:48:04 PM »
interesting.  thank you.  I don't recall having to do this previously with other RAW images.  I will double check.  thanks for the help

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2020, 02:59:52 PM »
interesting.  thank you.  I don't recall having to do this previously with other RAW images.  I will double check.  thanks for the help

Most other RAW formats do include previews, including DNG, but it's optional for DNG RAW files.  There may be a setting that you can adjust on your iPhone that will put previews in the DNGs that it produces.

-Kirk

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2020, 10:02:01 AM »

Are you on an iphone 12 pro on the ios 14.3 beta shooting with the new "Apple proRAW" format?

Offline OldRadioGuy

• Retired broadcast journalist/educator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2020, 11:46:08 AM »
... DNG files show up in catalog, but are blank. seems odd that standard DNG are not rendered properly.  anyone else seeing this?

I have just run Topaz JPG to RAW AI, converting some JPG images to DNG. I have the same problem -- these DNGs appear as blanks in the PM+ Contact Sheet. I viewed the same files in the Browser of ON1 Photo RAW 2021, and they appear there with thumbnails. The Browser in Exposure X6 also renders thumbnails for these DNG files.

Bob
-------------
Olympus E-M1 Mark III, Olympus PEN-F

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2020, 12:38:43 PM »
Bob,

... DNG files show up in catalog, but are blank. seems odd that standard DNG are not rendered properly.  anyone else seeing this?

I have just run Topaz JPG to RAW AI, converting some JPG images to DNG. I have the same problem -- these DNGs appear as blanks in the PM+ Contact Sheet. I viewed the same files in the Browser of ON1 Photo RAW 2021, and they appear there with thumbnails. The Browser in Exposure X6 also renders thumbnails for these DNG files.

Do the DNGs have previews in them?  I expect that the two other products you mentioned do actual RAW rendering.  Photo Mechanic isn't going to render your DNGs unless you turn on RAW Rendering and provide an installed Adobe DNG Converter.  And then while the images will look good, performance will suffer significantly.

Feel free to share one of your DNGs that doesn't display well and I'll examine the file.

-Kirk

Offline OldRadioGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2020, 10:40:32 AM »

Do the DNGs have previews in them?  I expect that the two other products you mentioned do actual RAW rendering.  Photo Mechanic isn't going to render your DNGs unless you turn on RAW Rendering and provide an installed Adobe DNG Converter.  And then while the images will look good, performance will suffer significantly.

Feel free to share one of your DNGs that doesn't display well and I'll examine the file.

-Kirk

Kirk, I don't know if the DNG's have previews. I put one in my DropBox for you to examine: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qm5ow31fel51wli/917D085E-3117-4D19-9245-49222D67033C_4.orf-edit.dng?dl=0

Bob
-------------

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2020, 11:45:04 AM »
Bob,

Kirk, I don't know if the DNG's have previews. I put one in my DropBox for you to examine: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qm5ow31fel51wli/917D085E-3117-4D19-9245-49222D67033C_4.orf-edit.dng?dl=0

The file you provided appears to be malformed.  It doesn't have any Exif pointer or subIFDs.  We're investigating it further, but basically PM can't get a width and height from the file and considers it an error.  Also, we scoured the file for a JPEG preview (manually) and there appears to be no preview in the file, so even if we manage to work around the malformations, PM still won't be able to show you a preview.

You may be able to run the file through the Adobe DNG Converter and get it to rewrite the file (fixing the malformation) with a preview, and then PM should be able to show it correctly.

-Kirk

Offline OldRadioGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2020, 12:45:45 PM »

The file you provided appears to be malformed.  It doesn't have any Exif pointer or subIFDs.  We're investigating it further, but basically PM can't get a width and height from the file and considers it an error.  Also, we scoured the file for a JPEG preview (manually) and there appears to be no preview in the file, so even if we manage to work around the malformations, PM still won't be able to show you a preview.

You may be able to run the file through the Adobe DNG Converter and get it to rewrite the file (fixing the malformation) with a preview, and then PM should be able to show it correctly.

-Kirk

Kirk, I tried that, and the files processed with Adobe DNG Converter now show up in PM+ with a preview. I'll now contact Topaz Labs to suggest a fix in JPEG to RAW AI.

Thanks.

Bob
-------------