Author Topic: Preserving keywords in files when applying a metadata template  (Read 1467 times)

Offline Jerry and Lois Photo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Preserving keywords in files when applying a metadata template
« on: November 17, 2020, 04:57:22 PM »
QUESTION:  How do I apply a metadata template to files and still preserve the keywords that were already there?

SITUATION:
I have a few hundred files that were carefully keyworded in LR.  I then exported them to a folder outside of LightRoom, as I needed to do additional processing on these (specialized watermarks, etc. that LR doesn't do).

While in PM, I also applied a metadata template that has no content in the keywords field.

Did all my additional post work.

Looked at one of the files and then discovered that the keywords were gone.  Backtracking, found that the metadata template nuked these, so now have a few hours of repeat work I need to do.

I still have the originals with keywords in LR, BUT, have to redo everything from the export forward.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Preserving keywords in files when applying a metadata template
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2020, 05:49:06 PM »
QUESTION:  How do I apply a metadata template to files and still preserve the keywords that were already there?

SITUATION:
I have a few hundred files that were carefully keyworded in LR.  I then exported them to a folder outside of LightRoom, as I needed to do additional processing on these (specialized watermarks, etc. that LR doesn't do).

While in PM, I also applied a metadata template that has no content in the keywords field.

Did all my additional post work.

Looked at one of the files and then discovered that the keywords were gone.  Backtracking, found that the metadata template nuked these, so now have a few hours of repeat work I need to do.

I still have the originals with keywords in LR, BUT, have to redo everything from the export forward.

Just don't apply an empty field.  Or if you want to add more keywords in the template, make sure you have the append checkbox turned on.

https://docs.camerabits.com/support/solutions/articles/48000207623-using-the-metadata-iptc-template

-Kirk

Offline Jerry and Lois Photo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Preserving keywords in files when applying a metadata template
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2020, 06:06:49 PM »
Thank you, Kirk.