Author Topic: Collections independend from catalogs / merge catalogs  (Read 1299 times)

Offline sebastianbremen

• Newcomer
  • Let's be nice to nature!
    • View Profile
    • Sebastian Burger Photography and Projects
Collections independend from catalogs / merge catalogs
« on: November 21, 2020, 02:18:27 AM »
Hi!
I just about to get used to your new Plus features. Good you did that - Adobe is so  >:(
Different from Adobe Bridge collections are limited to the files WITHIN one certain catalog. That's somehow a pity because it forces me to have a "All-all-all photos" catalog when I want to - say - build a filtered selection of my '100 best photos 2020' across my two catalogs "Private photos" and "Work photos". Or have I mistaken your catalog concept?!

Talking of trial and error: It would be cool if we could merge catalogs by a "integrate existing catalog" button. It took 3 hours to build the 800mb catalog files of my external drive and let the computer index all these files again even though the database files already exist is kind of wasting time and energy (CO2!).

Thanks and greetings from Bremen, Sebastian
Working since 2012 on https://www.mut-tour.de: As Initiator and "art director" I deal a lot with my and other photographers images and am happy to leave fuggin' Adobe's subscription trap. Hoping camera bits guys keep on programming.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Collections independend from catalogs / merge catalogs
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2020, 01:49:04 PM »
Sebastian,

I just about to get used to your new Plus features. Good you did that - Adobe is so  >:(
Different from Adobe Bridge collections are limited to the files WITHIN one certain catalog. That's somehow a pity because it forces me to have a "All-all-all photos" catalog when I want to - say - build a filtered selection of my '100 best photos 2020' across my two catalogs "Private photos" and "Work photos". Or have I mistaken your catalog concept?!

Collections are indeed per-catalog.  Though if you did make a collection in each of your catalogs and gave them the same name, you can use the Search to match that catalog name across multiple catalogs and you'll see all of the images in each collection sorted together.  However, you won't be able to arrange the images.

Talking of trial and error: It would be cool if we could merge catalogs by a "integrate existing catalog" button. It took 3 hours to build the 800mb catalog files of my external drive and let the computer index all these files again even though the database files already exist is kind of wasting time and energy (CO2!).

See this post on making feature requests: http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=13555.0

-Kirk

Offline sebastianbremen

• Newcomer
  • Let's be nice to nature!
    • View Profile
    • Sebastian Burger Photography and Projects
Re: Collections independend from catalogs / merge catalogs
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2020, 11:30:30 PM »
ok, thanks!
Working since 2012 on https://www.mut-tour.de: As Initiator and "art director" I deal a lot with my and other photographers images and am happy to leave fuggin' Adobe's subscription trap. Hoping camera bits guys keep on programming.