Author Topic: PM not handling .jpg files  (Read 3946 times)

Offline FotNed

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM not handling .jpg files
« on: August 24, 2020, 08:13:54 AM »
Hi Kirk, all. Hope everyone is hanging in there...

As this is, for me, a critical issue I have sent direct support request with log-file and pert. info. Got a ticket, so it's in the system;-)

Just in case anyone else has had some trouble with this I thought I'd post here as well.
PM Has been refusing to handle .jpg files to varying degrees and throwing following errors:

Error packing binary IPTC data for (C:\address, file name...)

It doesn't matter where the files are located on the main drive or an external drive, nor does it doesn't matter whether the .jpg files are taken as .jpg or converted in cam raw files, or downloaded and processed files.
When this occurs I am dead in the water. Unable to send/work with the file. Sometimes PM refuses to import the files, other times it imports but does not allow me to send the files (edited or not)

Could not make connection to server.
Sometimes with:
421 Idle timeout (300 seconds)

No particular pattern as to when/why.
I might be able to send 1 or two or more files, but then everything stops up. Restarting PM/PC/mobile router when using that option) may or may not have some effect(gen. not)
I understand that the 421 error is a server side response, but there is definitely no idle time from my side. The exact opposite in fact.

As I have been using Fijifilm X cameras for over a year now these are .raf files from a pair of XT3s and an XT4. I have however tested this with my old Nikons and had the same problem.

Photo Mechanic version 6.0.0.0 build 4851 (8540bbd)
Photoshp CC vers. 21.2.2
Win 10 (PC) 2004 64-bit X64 basert OS-vers. 19041.450
Asus laptop: i7-7500U @ 2.70GHz 290 GHz 16,0 GB ram.

Stay safe out there.

N

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM not handling .jpg files
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2020, 09:04:10 AM »
As this is, for me, a critical issue I have sent direct support request with log-file and pert. info. Got a ticket, so it's in the system;-)

Just in case anyone else has had some trouble with this I thought I'd post here as well.
PM Has been refusing to handle .jpg files to varying degrees and throwing following errors:

Error packing binary IPTC data for (C:\address, file name...)

It doesn't matter where the files are located on the main drive or an external drive, nor does it doesn't matter whether the .jpg files are taken as .jpg or converted in cam raw files, or downloaded and processed files.
When this occurs I am dead in the water. Unable to send/work with the file. Sometimes PM refuses to import the files, other times it imports but does not allow me to send the files (edited or not)

Could not make connection to server.
Sometimes with:
421 Idle timeout (300 seconds)

No particular pattern as to when/why.
I might be able to send 1 or two or more files, but then everything stops up. Restarting PM/PC/mobile router when using that option) may or may not have some effect(gen. not)
I understand that the 421 error is a server side response, but there is definitely no idle time from my side. The exact opposite in fact.

As I have been using Fijifilm X cameras for over a year now these are .raf files from a pair of XT3s and an XT4. I have however tested this with my old Nikons and had the same problem.

Photo Mechanic version 6.0.0.0 build 4851 (8540bbd)
Photoshp CC vers. 21.2.2
Win 10 (PC) 2004 64-bit X64 basert OS-vers. 19041.450
Asus laptop: i7-7500U @ 2.70GHz 290 GHz 16,0 GB ram.

I'd like to see your Photo Mechanic log.  In Photo Mechanic go to the Help menu and choose "Reveal Support Data..." and moments later a Windows Explorer window will come forward with the zipped log file selected.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your zipped PM log file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline FotNed

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2020, 05:38:57 PM »
Hi Kirk, and thanks for the reply.
I sent a copy of the log file along with all the other info with the support request, but I'll add a copy here for you;-) PM has also generated two debug.log files that popped up in the folder I was working in at the time. I have included those as well.

Offline FotNed

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2020, 05:44:02 PM »
Hmmm... A little quick on the trigger. Lets try that again ::)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2020, 06:11:19 PM »
Thank you for the files.

Regarding the failure to pack an IPTC binary, are you applying a Metadata Template during that time that has nothing set to apply?  If so, turn off the setting to apply the Metadata Template or make sure that you're applying at least one field.

Regarding the upload issues, do you have a solid internet connection?  Have you tried uploading to the same server with some other application?  If so, do you get any problems with other apps?  All of the network-related errors that I saw originated on the server's side.

-Kirk

Offline FotNed

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2020, 08:19:11 AM »
Hi Kirk, and again thanks for your reply.

About the IPTC binary failure; No, there are always fields applied.
Having used PM since the beginning, the possibility of having most to all of what is needed for the IPTC section preloaded was one of the biggest draws to PM... And of course the blazing speed ;-} and in my world speed has become the overriding factor.
So there is really isn't any ingest that doesn't have multiple fields filled in.

About the upload issues; Unfortunately this is happening over multiple connections/locations all solid... Some even darn good sooo.
Not my first rodeo, and while I'm not an engineer I did recognize a number of the responses. I have tried to pass this along to the powers that be, but...
Unfortunately one of the recent cutbacks was a full-time data guru that could live troubleshoot such things. I would be interested to know if you think there was one(or more of the responses) that seemed more likely to be directly related. The more precise I can be with any suggestions, the better.
The fact that some files get sent, and then full stop, makes it way to easy to make the the nut behind the wheel the scapegoat, and ignore the problem, which only happens with files that throw the IPTC binary failure fault and in PM.
I have been forced to drop PM for the time being :( and use Bridge & Filezilla... Which while it works, just doesn't cut it. At all. Or use Shuttersnitch on the Ipad which has been a bit finicky with swapping connections(an Ipad issue, not Snitch) ...and hope that Fujifilm get the FTP from camera bit sorted. Soon.
Really need to get PM back to normal, but I'm beginning to fear this might be another bizarre issue with Win 10 and some server-side update. Help!
Also PM has never generated debug.log files in this way before. Something new, or symptomatic of these other issues?

Thanks,
Ned

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2020, 10:07:29 AM »
About the IPTC binary failure; No, there are always fields applied.
Having used PM since the beginning, the possibility of having most to all of what is needed for the IPTC section preloaded was one of the biggest draws to PM... And of course the blazing speed ;-} and in my world speed has become the overriding factor.
So there is really isn't any ingest that doesn't have multiple fields filled in.

I'd need to add some logging to the code and make a build for you.  You would then install and run the build and reproduce the problem and then post the logs back here.  Please let me know if you're interested.

About the upload issues; Unfortunately this is happening over multiple connections/locations all solid... Some even darn good sooo.
Not my first rodeo, and while I'm not an engineer I did recognize a number of the responses. I have tried to pass this along to the powers that be, but...
Unfortunately one of the recent cutbacks was a full-time data guru that could live troubleshoot such things. I would be interested to know if you think there was one(or more of the responses) that seemed more likely to be directly related. The more precise I can be with any suggestions, the better.
The fact that some files get sent, and then full stop, makes it way to easy to make the the nut behind the wheel the scapegoat, and ignore the problem, which only happens with files that throw the IPTC binary failure fault and in PM.
I have been forced to drop PM for the time being :( and use Bridge & Filezilla... Which while it works, just doesn't cut it. At all. Or use Shuttersnitch on the Ipad which has been a bit finicky with swapping connections(an Ipad issue, not Snitch) ...and hope that Fujifilm get the FTP from camera bit sorted. Soon.
Really need to get PM back to normal, but I'm beginning to fear this might be another bizarre issue with Win 10 and some server-side update. Help!
Also PM has never generated debug.log files in this way before. Something new, or symptomatic of these other issues?

I looked at those logs.  They're not generated by PM.  Something else is producing them, perhaps when PM tries to do socket communications.

-Kirk

Offline FotNed

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2020, 03:15:51 PM »
Hi Kirk, and thank you... Whatever it takes is the name of the game 8) Just let me know. ;-)

About the debug files... In Windows they show as simple text files, but in PM they seem as though they were generated there... :-\
The DnsConfig 668 is one thing, but why the other (long rAF fram-time bla, bla) was a bit beyond me... Frame animation?

Thanks again,
N

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2020, 03:39:26 PM »
Hi Kirk, and thank you... Whatever it takes is the name of the game 8) Just let me know. ;-)

I will add some logging and get you a build.

About the debug files... In Windows they show as simple text files, but in PM they seem as though they were generated there... :-\
The DnsConfig 668 is one thing, but why the other (long rAF fram-time bla, bla) was a bit beyond me... Frame animation?

No idea.  You have the View menu setting that shows unknown files as proxies turned on.  If you turn that setting off then those files will disappear.

-Kirk

Offline FotNed

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2020, 04:24:23 PM »
 :) :) Thank you sir!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2020, 04:42:09 PM »
:) :) Thank you sir!

I have sent you a personal message with a link to the build.

-Kirk

Offline FotNed

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2020, 05:06:50 PM »
Got it... Thank you!
I will fire things up shortly... After some coffee & a little breakfast... In the 0-hundred wee hrs here... & the brain is lagging...
Again, thank you sir.

Ned

Offline FotNed

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2020, 03:31:41 AM »
Hi Kirk,

Sent you a PM and included the log file here.
Got the error message rather quick-like after running the new build you made, things are just a little sideways at the moment... See PM
Many thanks,
Ned

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2020, 08:13:04 AM »
Ned,

Sent you a PM and included the log file here.
Got the error message rather quick-like after running the new build you made, things are just a little sideways at the moment... See PM

Can you tell me about what time and day you managed to reproduce the problem?  There are 75k lines of text in your log. ;)

Thanks,

-Kirk