Author Topic: cannot move crop since last update  (Read 3754 times)

Offline eva

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
cannot move crop since last update
« on: November 24, 2020, 11:48:35 AM »
I am running Photo Mechanic version 6, build 5378 on macOS Catalina MacBook Pro (Mid 2015).
Since I did the update to build 5378 I am having troubles with moving the crop. Moving the crop with the space key is only possible if I choose a fix format e.g. 2-3 or 1-1 crop. If I use the normal crop, moving the crop while holding the space key is not possible.
Thanks, Eva

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: cannot move crop since last update
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2020, 12:59:17 PM »
Eva,

I am running Photo Mechanic version 6, build 5378 on macOS Catalina MacBook Pro (Mid 2015).
Since I did the update to build 5378 I am having troubles with moving the crop. Moving the crop with the space key is only possible if I choose a fix format e.g. 2-3 or 1-1 crop. If I use the normal crop, moving the crop while holding the space key is not possible.

Are you cropping while zoomed in?  Pressing the space bar while using the Crop tool and then dragging with the mouse moves the image, not the crop.  I'm able to move the crop around while zoomed in with both a constrained or an unconstrained crop works for me when I don't have the space bar down.

If after reading this you still have trouble, please provide more detail so that I can reproduce the problem locally.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Colin_Hackley

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2020, 02:14:22 PM »
Same issue here not being able to move the crop box around on build 5378 running on Mac OS 10.14.6 on 2018 MBP.

I am not cropping while zoomed in.

If the crop is constrained I can move the crop box. If crop is unconstrained and I try to move the box it changes the crop (trims crop in or pulls looser) in whichever direction I push or pull. Holding space bar down does not change behavior.

Thank you for looking into this Kirk.

Colin

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2020, 03:43:42 PM »
Colin,

Same issue here not being able to move the crop box around on build 5378 running on Mac OS 10.14.6 on 2018 MBP.

If the crop is constrained I can move the crop box. If crop is unconstrained and I try to move the box it changes the crop (trims crop in or pulls looser) in whichever direction I push or pull. Holding space bar down does not change behavior.

I take it that there is no position that you can put the mouse cursor such that it turns into a box with a "grabbing hand" in it?

-Kirk

Offline jkm

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2020, 09:13:56 PM »
I have this bug too. Very problematic. It makes cropping four times harder, and makes it much harder to get the crop artistically best when I cannot move it.

I can only adjust the sides of the crop since the last update.

Offline jkm

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2020, 09:14:35 PM »
Colin,

I take it that there is no position that you can put the mouse cursor such that it turns into a box with a "grabbing hand" in it?

-Kirk

Correct. No way to grab and move the crop after creating it.

Offline jkm

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2020, 09:15:23 PM »
Unconstrained crop is what I am using.

Offline Colin_Hackley

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2020, 09:23:29 AM »
That is correct, Kirk.

The "grabbing hand" normally used to move the crop box is only available when the crop is set to constrained.

When using an unconstrained crop I can not move the crop box and when I try to do so instead of moving the entire box, the top line of the crop box moves up and down changing the crop of the image. 

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2020, 12:22:13 PM »
That is correct, Kirk.

The "grabbing hand" normally used to move the crop box is only available when the crop is set to constrained.

When using an unconstrained crop I can not move the crop box and when I try to do so instead of moving the entire box, the top line of the crop box moves up and down changing the crop of the image.

OK, I'm sorry for the inconvenience.  I will fix it when I return from vacation.  For now, you can either revert to an older build, all builds are available here: http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?board=15.0

Or you can make a constrained crop with the width and the height both set to 1 and it should work (based on above info in this thread.)

-Kirk

Offline J.A.S.

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2020, 01:13:28 PM »
Hi, was going to start a new thread, but thought this might be more useful added to this one, as it's also regarding what looks like a cropping bug that has turned up in the new build.

Using MacOS Catalina 10.15.7 with PM6 build 5378

When cropping a JPG image from a Canon R5 camera (8192 x 5464 pixels) and you adjust the size of the crop using the left hand edge or bottom edge of the crop indicator, it moves the opposite edge of the crop

Not referring to moving the green squares at each corner, which work fine.

But it's when you grab anywhere along the LHS edge of the crop area - the opposite right hand side moves instead. Likewise with the bottom part of the crop area - the top edge moves instead.

The RHS edge and top edge all move as the should.

Suspect it is something to do with the large image size of R5 images, as the bug does not appear when cropping a 1DX Mark III file, which is 5472 x 3648 pixels.

Easy to work around, once you realise what is happening, as you just adjust the crop using the green square in each corner. But would be good to get sorted for the next build.

Thanks.

John

Offline jkm

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2020, 03:54:10 PM »
Hi, was going to start a new thread, but thought this might be more useful added to this one, as it's also regarding what looks like a cropping bug that has turned up in the new build.

Using MacOS Catalina 10.15.7 with PM6 build 5378

When cropping a JPG image from a Canon R5 camera (8192 x 5464 pixels) and you adjust the size of the crop using the left hand edge or bottom edge of the crop indicator, it moves the opposite edge of the crop

Not referring to moving the green squares at each corner, which work fine.

But it's when you grab anywhere along the LHS edge of the crop area - the opposite right hand side moves instead. Likewise with the bottom part of the crop area - the top edge moves instead.

The RHS edge and top edge all move as the should.

Suspect it is something to do with the large image size of R5 images, as the bug does not appear when cropping a 1DX Mark III file, which is 5472 x 3648 pixels.

Easy to work around, once you realise what is happening, as you just adjust the crop using the green square in each corner. But would be good to get sorted for the next build.

Thanks.

John

Does this for me too with Sony A7R IV photos.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2020, 06:44:49 PM »
This problem has been fixed in the 5404 build: http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=13773.0

-Kirk
« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 01:44:28 PM by Kirk Baker »