Author Topic: Key Words  (Read 2395 times)

Offline mikemyers

• Have Camera, Will Travel
    • View Profile
    • Smugmug Gallery
Key Words
« on: November 27, 2020, 01:35:31 PM »
I am using PhotoMechanic Plus, version 6.0, build 5373
I'm running a Mac iMac computer, with BigSur installed as the OS, but I also have computers running Catalina.

I want to start setting up keywords, and have several questions.

Does keywords on this program work by entering a long list of keywords I'm likely to use, after which I would select keywords from that list?  If so, this would minimize spelling mistakes, and typos.

Is there a video, or a guide, as to how to set up and use keywords?

Also, I am using DxO PhotoLab 4 as my image editor.  I plan to use PhotoLab as my DAM software.  Will keywords entered into PhotoMechanicPlus be visible while I'm working with images in PhotoLab 4 ?   

Final question - is there any way to keep multiple computers in "sync" with keywords? 
Mike Myers
m.smugmug.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Key Words
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2020, 04:12:21 PM »
Mike,

I am using Photo Mechanic Plus, version 6.0, build 5373
I'm running a Mac iMac computer, with BigSur installed as the OS, but I also have computers running Catalina.

I want to start setting up keywords, and have several questions.

Does keywords on this program work by entering a long list of keywords I'm likely to use, after which I would select keywords from that list?  If so, this would minimize spelling mistakes, and typos.

Is there a video, or a guide, as to how to set up and use keywords?

Here is the documentation: https://docs.camerabits.com/support/solutions/articles/48001144666-adding-keywords-to-photos

Also, I am using DxO PhotoLab 4 as my image editor.  I plan to use PhotoLab as my DAM software.  Will keywords entered into Photo Mechanic Plus be visible while I'm working with images in PhotoLab 4 ?

That depends on whether DxO PhotoLab 4 works with industry-standard XMP metadata or not.

Final question - is there any way to keep multiple computers in "sync" with keywords?

You can treat one system as your master, and export keywords from it and import them on the others.

-Kirk

Offline KeithRJ

• View Profile
    • Keith & Vlasta Ross-Jones
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2020, 02:01:38 PM »
DxO Photolab 4 can read keywords from .xmp files created by PL. I use PM+ as my DAM and PL4 for developing and so far it is working really well.

Offline mikemyers

• Have Camera, Will Travel
    • View Profile
    • Smugmug Gallery
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2020, 08:09:54 PM »
DxO Photolab 4 can read keywords from .xmp files created by PL. I use PM+ as my DAM and PL4 for developing and so far it is working really well.

So if my image files are in my PL4 area, I can do the keyword additions in PL4 ?
What if they're not in PL4 ?

I have two links about keywords that I need to finish reading:

https://www.carlseibert.com/keywording-in-photo-mechanic-part-1/   and
https://www.carlseibert.com/keywording-considerations-start/

To avoid making typos in entering keywords, can I make up a list of keywords I know I'll want, and somehow upload the entire list into PhotoMechanicPlus ?

I'm still looking for a good video on how to enter keywords into PhotoMechanicPlus.  I should be ready to start on this in two days.
Mike Myers
m.smugmug.com

Offline KeithRJ

• View Profile
    • Keith & Vlasta Ross-Jones
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2020, 04:15:07 PM »

So if my image files are in my PL4 area, I can do the keyword additions in PL4 ?
What if they're not in PL4 ?

I have two links about keywords that I need to finish reading:

https://www.carlseibert.com/keywording-in-photo-mechanic-part-1/   and
https://www.carlseibert.com/keywording-considerations-start/

To avoid making typos in entering keywords, can I make up a list of keywords I know I'll want, and somehow upload the entire list into PhotoMechanicPlus ?

I'm still looking for a good video on how to enter keywords into PhotoMechanicPlus.  I should be ready to start on this in two days.

Keywords in PL4 are stored in a database and only applied to exported photos. Until/if PL4 supports XMP files them you will not be able to read keywords created by PL4 for raw files in PM+. For this reason I would recommend you do all keywords in PM+.

I mainly use hierarchical keywords and there is a facility to export your hierarchy to a text file which can be edited and then loading back into PM+. I think this will help do what you are wanting to achieve. I am not sure if you can do this with normal keywords but if you create a single level hierarchy then you can apply these keywords. You can decide to replace keywords or add to existing keywords and hierarchic keywords can coexist with standard keywords but this can get messy.

The PM+ manual is very good so study the appropriate sections to get more detail.

Hope this helps.