Author Topic: New Feature Request login confusion  (Read 3427 times)

Offline RonD200

• View Profile
    • Digital Images by Ron Skinner
New Feature Request login confusion
« on: November 29, 2020, 07:12:23 PM »
Hi I went to the new Feature Request board and I”m confused about the login, I already have a customer account with Camera Bits and when I click “My account” it shows I’m logged in and shows all my PM purchases and license codes, however when I go to the new feature request site it tells me to login or sign up.  Is this a different login? So far I have a Camera Bits customer login that tracks my purchases, that I log in with my email and password, then I have a login for the forums that uses a User name and password, neither of these works on the Feature Request board. It’s asking me to sign up for a customer account to use the Feature Request board, and I’m afraid to create another customer account and lose access to my previous purchases and license info. I guess what I’m asking is if I already have a customer account why is it asking me to sign up again to use the Feature Request board?

Thanks
My Gallery - Digital Images by Ron Skinner
My Blog - Ron's Blog

Offline Marziah

• View Profile
Re: New Feature Request login confusion
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2020, 09:09:49 AM »
Hi. Yes, it's a separate account. Sorry about that. The forum here, the feature request forum, and the store all use separate platforms that don't talk to each other. If you create a new account there, you won't mess up any of your existing accounts.

Offline LRAT

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2020, 07:58:05 PM »
I got the same problem.
When I sign in with my log-in credits it tells me the password is incorrect.
When I want to register it tells me that the email is already in use.
I'm confused about what to do...

Offline RonD200

• View Profile
    • Digital Images by Ron Skinner
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2020, 09:18:30 PM »
Yeah not sure why it doesn't use the same CameraBits account you registered with to buy the product, I guess you could login with Facebook, not sure what I'm gonna do.
My Gallery - Digital Images by Ron Skinner
My Blog - Ron's Blog

Offline IainS

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2020, 03:29:00 PM »
I had exactly the same problem and it is really annoying especially as there is no information about this requirement . In any case I was logged in so why wasn't I logged into the support forum and why wouldn't the support forum accept my log in credentials and this forum did.

Iain

Offline Marziah

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2020, 04:01:20 PM »
They all use different platforms that don't share their user name databases with each other. I agree that it's annoying. Unfortunately, we don't have a way to integrate them. The forums has one vendor, the help/feature requests system is provided by another vendor, and finally the store is written by us but doesn't have access to the user/password database of the first two systems.

If you're getting an error that your email is already in use, I'd suggest trying to reset your password to see if that resolves the issue.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 04:25:17 PM by Kirk Baker »

Offline Bob M

• View Profile
    • The McElroys of Point Alexander
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2020, 02:16:43 PM »
Perhaps not from Camera Bits' point of view, from a user's point of view, the introduction of the features request board was a major retrograde step.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2020, 02:36:38 PM »
Bob,

Perhaps not from Camera Bits' point of view, from a user's point of view, the introduction of the features request board was a major retrograde step.

Can you tell me in specifics what you don't like about it?

-Kirk

Offline Bob M

• View Profile
    • The McElroys of Point Alexander
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2020, 02:25:40 PM »
In retrospect and reconsideration, my comment was too harsh. I apologize.

I have been using PhotoMechanic for a long time.  During that time, I have found that regular reading of the forums has been an invaluable educational tool.  I have learned of many features etc. that I might otherwise have missed.  Of the various forums, the Features Request forum, was perhaps the least educational but interesting nonetheless.  And sometimes there would be an interesting discussion or explanation of the technical issues involved.

When the forum moved to its new home, I followed.  But I was immediately confronted with the login issue.  Not a big deal I guess, but a nuisance and I am not sure that I explicitly realized at the time that a third Camera Bits login was required.  But since I didn't have any immediate feature request, I never signed in.  I continued to visit as a lurker.  But now there was no useful discussion and the Camera Bits response often struck me as somewhat smarmy and/or patronizing.  I also recall there was an issue that made it very difficult to identify new posts (perhaps because I didn't sign in).  After a couple of months of monitoring it, I decided that the forum was a waste of my time and I haven't been back since.  (But neither have I had an overriding feature request.)

In the last few days, I have gone back and looked again.  I conclude that it is better than it was; the updates issue seems to have gone and the Camera Bits responses have improved.  But I doubt that I will be adding it back into my regular forum viewing.

Offline Marziah

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2020, 05:17:01 PM »
No worries. I'll have to test how it looks when you're not logged in, but I know when you are logged in, you can sort posts by most recent.

Even if you don't have a request, it would be great to have people willing to upvote their favorite requests. That gives us some data for prioritizing features, but I understand how the separate login can frustrate that.