Author Topic: GPS problems with PM+ uploader to Smugmug and Flickr  (Read 1058 times)

Offline RonD200

• View Profile
    • Digital Images by Ron Skinner
GPS problems with PM+ uploader to Smugmug and Flickr
« on: November 30, 2020, 10:44:36 AM »
I'm having some strange problems with GPS info when using the PM+ uploader for both Smugmug and Flicker, I geotag the Photos with PM+ and the gps coordinates are added just fine, and I can see the location on a map just fine in PM and also in ON1, the problem happens when I use the PM+ uploader, when the photo is uploaded to Smugmug no GPS info appears, if I use the ON1 uploader of the same photo that was tagged by PM+ the GPS into shows up in Smugmug just fine and shows it on the map, so it looks like the gps information is in the file correctly but something is happening to it when using the PM Smugmug uploader.   The problem with Fiickr is different and I see a lot of people are having the same problem, when using the PM Flickr uploader, Flickr locates my photos in China instead of Ohio. Any idea of what's going on?

UPDATE: I think I figured it out and I need to change my workflow between PM+ and ON1 and when I geotag the photos, what I originally did was cull the photos in PM, then in ON1 I would edit the photos and export the jpgs back to the same directory, after I finished the edits in ON1 I would go back to PM+ and combine the NEF + jpg and and geotag the combined images and even though both PM and ON1 would read the gps info and show it on a map, when I uploaded the photo to Smugmug it didn't show the GPS info, so in playing around I found I could get it to work if I geotagged the NEF files in PM before I edited and saved the jpg in ON1 then when I uploaded to Smugmug it could now see the GPS info. Not sure what's up with that cause either way the gps info showed up in both ON1 and PM+. So in short if I geotag the raw files then do an edit in ON1, export the jpg to the same directory, and upload from PM to Smugmug everything works, but if I wait to geotag the pair of NEF and the edited ON1 jpg together, Smugmug doesn't like it and no GPS info is seen, so the bottom line is to geotag the raw file first by itself and the gps will then stay with the exported jpg when it's created.  I think the problem with Flickr is on their end since a lot of people in the Flickr forums have the same problem.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 12:31:09 PM by RonD200 »
My Gallery - Digital Images by Ron Skinner
My Blog - Ron's Blog