Author Topic: Can I use the same database on multiple pc's?  (Read 1844 times)

Offline LRAT

• View Profile
Can I use the same database on multiple pc's?
« on: November 30, 2020, 05:43:39 PM »
Howdy,

PM+ allows the software to be used on 3 different PC's but the developers strongly suggest not to put the database on a server or NAS drive as this could lead to corruption of the database.
Is it possible to take a copy of the current database and export it to a different pc?
I've got PM+ installed on two PC's and a laptop. It would be great if they would be able to synchronize with one another.
What do you recommend?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Can I use the same database on multiple pc's?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2020, 06:01:50 PM »
PM+ allows the software to be used on 3 different PC's but the developers strongly suggest not to put the database on a server or NAS drive as this could lead to corruption of the database.

It would also be glacially slow. ;)

Is it possible to take a copy of the current database and export it to a different pc?

Yes, you could copy it to another PC and open it on that PC.

I've got PM+ installed on two PC's and a laptop. It would be great if they would be able to synchronize with one another.

Copying is the only supported method, but it will be out of sync with the other copies if you modify it.  We don't currently have a solution for keeping copies of a catalog in sync across multiple computers.

-Kirk

Offline krakouer

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Can I use the same database on multiple pc's?
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2020, 08:29:33 PM »
I tried using Syncthing and Resilio Sync as I do this with Lightroom and C1 databases. It works flawlessly, however with PMP - when I open the database on a secondary computer it comes up with an error message that the database is locked and cannot be opened.

The database is closed on the primary computer.  Is there a way to minimize this locking error?