Author Topic: GPS Coords Inconsistent  (Read 1259 times)

Offline Big-Gee

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
GPS Coords Inconsistent
« on: December 01, 2020, 04:04:16 PM »
Hi Kirk...

Further to my last post regarding GPS Coordinates.

I am finding that PhotoMechanic is inconsistent in applying GPS coordinates within a photo.
What I put in the "Set GPS Coordinates" dialog is the correct information and displays exactly right when click on the  "Show on Map" button

see screen shot of Set GPS Coordinates dialog below.

what I enter in here is: Latitude North  degrees 43 minutes 40 seconds 40.1    Longitude  East degrees 4  Minutes 37 seconds  51.2
hitting show on Map places the pin exactly where it should be,  Arenes d'Arles (arles Amphitheater)'
Note Coordinate Format chosen is  dd.mm'ss.s"

when I right click on the image and choose  Image info  I get something different (format wise) which shows as N43.40.668'and E4.37.853. See second screen shot below.

The photo gets this second format and places it into the picture's metadata as such which show up in ACDSee as:
N latitude 43.40.6683"0.000000"  E longitude 4. 37.8533' 0.000000"  see third screen shot below.

which is not even close when displayed on a map.

Why does PhotoMechanic not put the numbers I set in the Set Coordinates dialog into the GPS fields in the metadata for the photo as demonstrated in the Image info display?

It appears that PhotoMechanic changes the format and it is interpreted wrong.

Hope you can help me figure this out.

Cheers!

Garry

Offline Big-Gee

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: GPS Coords Inconsistent
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2020, 04:21:19 PM »
OOPS... its amazing what a little investigating can do.   I found the issue with inconsistency in the Coordinates. In the preferences you need to set the GPS format the same as the Set GPS coordinates.  So big user error.

I left the post incase anyone else experiences the same issue.

Chalk it up to being a newbie to PhotoMechanic.

My apologies
« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 06:28:42 PM by Big-Gee »