Author Topic: Selecting/searching multiple images using filename search via ShootProof  (Read 2894 times)

Offline rajmehtaphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Hi, I'm using Photo Mechanic Version 6.0, build 4851 (8540bbd) on Mac osx 10.15.7.  I'm trying to take a list of file names such as RMP_007, RMP_011, RMP_012, RMP_014, ... etc... and I'm trying to copy the list and paste it in a search box in Photo Mechanic where it will just pull up those filenames in a specific folder.  I thought there was an easy way to do it in PMechanic but I'm having trouble doing this.  Please help, thanks!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Selecting/searching multiple images using filename search via ShootProof
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2020, 03:05:07 PM »
Hi, I'm using Photo Mechanic Version 6.0, build 4851 (8540bbd) on Mac osx 10.15.7.  I'm trying to take a list of file names such as RMP_007, RMP_011, RMP_012, RMP_014, ... etc... and I'm trying to copy the list and paste it in a search box in Photo Mechanic where it will just pull up those filenames in a specific folder.  I thought there was an easy way to do it in PMechanic but I'm having trouble doing this.  Please help, thanks!

I'm not sure what you mean by "pull up those filenames in a specific order"?  If you open the folder containing those images, it will show all of the files in that folder which may or may not include the items in your list.  There is nothing one can do to force them to be shown in a specific order unless you use the Arrangement feature to move them around to a specific order but that is done via drag and drop when in Arrangement sort mode.  Searching won't ever do that.

If what you want to do is only view those images, you can select them manually and then view only the selected items and the others will be hidden.  You can even save this selection and load it in again later (it's a text file that lists the files, one file name per line).

-Kirk

Offline rajmehtaphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2020, 04:16:27 PM »

I'm not sure what you mean by "pull up those filenames in a specific order"?  If you open the folder containing those images, it will show all of the files in that folder which may or may not include the items in your list.  There is nothing one can do to force them to be shown in a specific order unless you use the Arrangement feature to move them around to a specific order but that is done via drag and drop when in Arrangement sort mode.  Searching won't ever do that.

If what you want to do is only view those images, you can select them manually and then view only the selected items and the others will be hidden.  You can even save this selection and load it in again later (it's a text file that lists the files, one file name per line).

-Kirk

Hi Kirk,
Thanks for the reply but there is a bit of a misunderstanding.  I basically have a bunch of filenames in text form that I want to copy and paste into a photo mechanic search.  I'm not looking for a specific order, but a specific folder.  For example... Lets say it's a large folder full of wedding picutres and I have the list of filenames like this RMP_007, RMP_011, RMP_012, RMP_014... and there are maybe 100 filenames of the clients "favorite" photos.  The folder has 1,000 images in it and I just want to cut and paste all the filenames into a search box and have the search automatically show only those 100 favs so I don't have to go in and do it manually.  This must be possible in Photo Mechanic, I'm just not having any luck with I paste all the filenames in the search box.  Is it because there's not a .jpg at the end of the filename?  Hopefully you understand my question better.  Thanks for the help!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2020, 06:18:55 PM »

-Kirk

Hi Kirk,
Thanks for the reply but there is a bit of a misunderstanding.  I basically have a bunch of filenames in text form that I want to copy and paste into a photo mechanic search.  I'm not looking for a specific order, but a specific folder.  For example... Lets say it's a large folder full of wedding picutres and I have the list of filenames like this RMP_007, RMP_011, RMP_012, RMP_014... and there are maybe 100 filenames of the clients "favorite" photos.  The folder has 1,000 images in it and I just want to cut and paste all the filenames into a search box and have the search automatically show only those 100 favs so I don't have to go in and do it manually.  This must be possible in Photo Mechanic, I'm just not having any luck with I paste all the filenames in the search box.  Is it because there's not a .jpg at the end of the filename?  Hopefully you understand my question better.  Thanks for the help!

The Find panel doesn't work that way.  If all you want to do is have images with specific filenames be selected, paste those filenames, one per line, into a text file (with extension) and then use the "Load Selection..." command on the Edit menu and choose your text file.  It will run through the names in the file and select the matches.  You do need to have the extension on the filenames in order for it to work correctly.

HTH,

-Kirk