Author Topic: Structured Keywords Panel in Metadata (IPTC) Info Panel overwriting keywords  (Read 2636 times)

Offline Graham1

• View Profile
There appears to be a bug in the version of the Structured Keywords Panel which is accessed from the dropdown arrow in the Metadata (IPTC) Info Panel. 

If keywords are added from the collection in the Structured Keywords Panel while the Metadata (IPTC) Info Panel is open, these always overwrite the keywords in the selected image: there is no option to append.  By contrast, the Structured Keywords Panel accessed from the main toolbar (thumbnails visible) has a check box allowing you to append (or not) the keywords in the collection. 

The expected behaviour of both versions of the Structured Keywords Panel must be to allow keywords in the collection to be added (or at least to give this option), rather than the Metadata (IPTC) Info Panel version being a "start over" overwrite-only function.  This version of the Structured Keywords Panel needs to have a similar "append" tick box added, so that both versions operate similarly.

Graham

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Graham.

There appears to be a bug in the version of the Structured Keywords Panel which is accessed from the dropdown arrow in the Metadata (IPTC) Info Panel. 

If keywords are added from the collection in the Structured Keywords Panel while the Metadata (IPTC) Info Panel is open, these always overwrite the keywords in the selected image: there is no option to append.  By contrast, the Structured Keywords Panel accessed from the main toolbar (thumbnails visible) has a check box allowing you to append (or not) the keywords in the collection.

How do you get this to happen?  When I have a set of keywords in an image already existing and I bring up the Structured Keywords dialog, the existing keywords appear in the collection area and selecting paths and choosing "Add path" or "Add keyword" doesn't replace them, they get added in.  When I click the Apply button, all of my existing keywords and the path (or keyword) that I added are all visible in the Keywords field.

I agree that the existing keywords shouldn't be replaced and that it never should do this when editing a single photo and that's why there is no checkbox for appending: it should always append.  I'd like to know how you get it to delete your existing keywords?  Please list the steps and if possible post screenshots that illustrate how to get this to happen.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screenshots.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Graham1

• View Profile
I agree that the existing keywords shouldn't be replaced and that it never should do this when editing a single photo and that's why there is no checkbox for appending: it should always append.  I'd like to know how you get it to delete your existing keywords?

Kirk,

Thank you for the reply.  I can now see what is happening and why.  I have previously only worked with groups of images, using the main Structured Keyword Panel.  Today I have been dealing with individual images and the alternative version of the Structured Keywords Panel accessed from the Metadata (IPTC) Info Panel.

I have been using the alternative Structured Keywords Panel to search for and include my hierarchical keywords, with every synonym included (full add path).  The typical image I have been working on today has maybe up to 100 keywords, some even more, some of which may be up to 7 levels deep in my hierarchy.

What I have done is this: 

1. Search for and include the first sets of keywords/synonyms.  These might relate to, for example, the type of animal concerned, its geographical location etc.  In other words, the main headings I can think of as a first pass. This creates maybe several dozen keywords, more than enough to be working with for the time being, and good for a first edit because each addition is in the hierarchical order and I can at that stage edit out unnecessary synonyms.  Then press ok to close the Structured Keywords Panel.

2. Then I re-open the alternative Structured Keyword Panel, for my second pass at other keywords, such as the landscape, the environment, the weather etc.  When I do this, as you say, all the keywords already copied appear in the collection.  I had assumed that this was because there were still there from the first pass, so I cleared the collection and start afresh for the second pass.  This is exactly what I do when I use the main Structured Keywords Panel on a group of images.  I assumed the second pass keywords would be appended, but they are overwritten.

I typically edit some of the keywords out of the collection, because they are easy to find there (because the hierarchy is fresh in mind), then edit the combined collections of keywords in the Metadata (IPTC) Info Panel.  This works fine in the main version of the Structured Keywords Panel, but not for the other version, because the behaviour is always to overwrite, not append.

Now that I understand that the alternative Structured Keywords Panel includes previously added keywords, I can get round this.  But should not both versions work the same way, so that the collection can be cleared and just contain the further keywords added during that pass, which can then be appended without cluttering up the collection with prior keywords from an earlier pass? 

Graham

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Graham,

I agree that the existing keywords shouldn't be replaced and that it never should do this when editing a single photo and that's why there is no checkbox for appending: it should always append.  I'd like to know how you get it to delete your existing keywords?

Now that I understand that the alternative Structured Keywords Panel includes previously added keywords, I can get round this.  But should not both versions work the same way, so that the collection can be cleared and just contain the further keywords added during that pass, which can then be appended without cluttering up the collection with prior keywords from an earlier pass? 

If there were a number of people reporting the same issue, I'd say it may be useful to add more options.  But you're the first to my knowledge that is having this issue.  Feel free to make a feature request.  If enough people upvote it then we'd probably do something about it.

The Structured Keywords panel operates on a selection of images, just like the Metadata Template does.  It doesn't show the existing keywords of any of the selected images.  It always either replaces or appends, just like the Metadata Template does.

The Structured Keywords dialog (note dialog as in modal dialog, not a non-modal floating panel) works with the keywords of one specific image and thus it shows you what you have so that you can both add and remove keywords and when you're done with it, the Metadata Info has your changes for the one specific image that you're editing.  To me the difference is clear but may not be as clear for everyone else.

-Kirk

Offline Graham1

• View Profile
Thanks, Kirk

I will put in a feature request.  But I guess it has been like this for years, and maybe there will not be much demand!

Graham

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Graham,

I will put in a feature request.  But I guess it has been like this for years, and maybe there will not be much demand!

It's been this way since it was first implemented in 2007.

-Kirk