Author Topic: Lots of force quits required!  (Read 2128 times)

Offline chrisleary

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Lots of force quits required!
« on: December 04, 2020, 08:21:53 AM »
First of all - when this PM+ works it's a game-changer! Love the speed! ;D

Unfortunately, I get many app crashes. I've been keywording images (for the first time!) and doing it in bulk where I can. It looks like I can get through several thousand pictures but after awhile the PM+ freezes and I'm only able to force quit and restart. Luckily the work I've done isn't lost. it's just a pain to force quit every so often. Any advice?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Lots of force quits required!
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2020, 08:31:45 AM »
I'd like to see your Photo Mechanic log.  In Photo Mechanic go to the Help menu and choose "Reveal Support Data..." and moments later a Finder window will come forward with the zipped log file selected.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your zipped PM log file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline chrisleary

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2020, 08:38:39 AM »
attached. thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2020, 09:35:32 AM »
Chris,

attached. thanks

Thanks.  What kinds of images are you working with?  Are any of them .EPS files (EPS-TIFF) ?

-Kirk

Offline chrisleary

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2020, 04:36:18 AM »
Just needed to force quit. I was keywording 28000 images, all .cr2 files and the PM+ application froze up. I attached to PM log zip if that helps

Offline chrisleary

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2020, 06:28:19 AM »
Correction - I did have multiple file types. There were cr2 dng tif and jpg. I removed the tif but I still got a crash

Offline chrisleary

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2020, 06:39:59 AM »
In order to help see which file types might be an issue, I selected to sort by file type. This sorting could be an issue too - it takes a long time - approx 10+ minutes. I don't mind waiting as long as I can do something else but if I don't keep PM+ open in the front when I come back to check progress, it restarts the sorting process.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2020, 08:16:07 AM »
Chris,

In order to help see which file types might be an issue, I selected to sort by file type. This sorting could be an issue too - it takes a long time - approx 10+ minutes. I don't mind waiting as long as I can do something else but if I don't keep PM+ open in the front when I come back to check progress, it restarts the sorting process.

The sort type you're using has to be done brute-force by PM and not by the Catalog system.  This means that PM needs all of the metadata from all of the images before it can perform the sort.  With 28000 images that will take some time, especially if the images are not on a fast local disk.

You can change the preference to not "Rescan on resume" and PM won't rescan/sort when you switch back into it.  See the Contact Sheet page of the Preferences dialog.

-Kirk