Author Topic: PhotoMechanic Plus doesn't correctly name the folder where my images are being i  (Read 2780 times)

Offline mikemyers

• Have Camera, Will Travel
    • View Profile
    • Smugmug Gallery
I am running PhotoMechanic Plus on an iMac with Big Sur OS.

I am having a problem ingesting images.  I want the folder name where the images are stored to be year/month/date/caption

That doesn't work - see below for an example.

I changed from using {caption} to {headline}, but got the same result.  The caption or headline repeats over and over again endlessly.

Mike Myers
m.smugmug.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Mike,

I am running PhotoMechanic Plus on an iMac with Big Sur OS.

I am having a problem ingesting images.  I want the folder name where the images are stored to be year/month/date/caption

That doesn't work - see below for an example.

I changed from using {caption} to {headline}, but got the same result.  The caption or headline repeats over and over again endlessly.

Could you post a screenshot of what your Ingest dialog looks like, please?

-Kirk

Offline mikemyers

• View Profile
    • Smugmug Gallery
Two images for you:

Mike Myers
m.smugmug.com

Offline mikemyers

• View Profile
    • Smugmug Gallery
It doesn't matter if I use {headline} or {caption}, it gets repeated endlessly
Mike Myers
m.smugmug.com

Offline mikemyers

• View Profile
    • Smugmug Gallery
This may help you:

Photo Mechanic Plus Version 6.0, build 5376 (14f9534)
Mike Myers
m.smugmug.com

Offline mikemyers

• View Profile
    • Smugmug Gallery
This might be a clue - "variables" is grayed out:

Mike Myers
m.smugmug.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Mike,

{caption} or {headline} are not appropriate for naming files or folders.  They can easily be longer than the maximum length for a file/folder name.

Also, you should be using the non-IPTC date variables. {year4}, (month0}, {day0}, etc.

-Kirk

Offline mikemyers

• View Profile
    • Smugmug Gallery
Mike,

{caption} or {headline} are not appropriate for naming files or folders.  They can easily be longer than the maximum length for a file/folder name.

Also, you should be using the non-IPTC date variables. {year4}, (month0}, {day0}, etc.

-Kirk

Kirk, those variables came from a video on how to use Photo Mechanic Variable.  Sure, I will change them as you suggest, but before I do so, what's the difference?

Earlier this evening, Andrew from Camera Bits Tech Support connected to my computer, and both solved and repaired the problem.  Rather than mangle the explanation, perhaps you can ask him what we did, and why, and explain it properly.

What would you suggest instead of the variables I'm now using for renaming?  I did this the way the video indicated, and I typically don't put in long strings of text.  I keep everything as short as is reasonable.
Mike Myers
m.smugmug.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Mike,

Kirk, those variables came from a video on how to use Photo Mechanic Variable.  Sure, I will change them as you suggest, but before I do so, what's the difference?

Earlier this evening, Andrew from Camera Bits Tech Support connected to my computer, and both solved and repaired the problem.  Rather than mangle the explanation, perhaps you can ask him what we did, and why, and explain it properly.

What would you suggest instead of the variables I'm now using for renaming?  I did this the way the video indicated, and I typically don't put in long strings of text.  I keep everything as short as is reasonable.

What variables are you now using?

-Kirk

Offline mikemyers

• View Profile
    • Smugmug Gallery
Only what's shown in my screen captures up above. 

I know there are a lot more, but I just use the variables for folder and file naming, and filling in the fields in the template.
Mike Myers
m.smugmug.com