Author Topic: Feature Upgrade Request  (Read 6202 times)

Offline Wolvie

• View Profile
Feature Upgrade Request
« on: April 21, 2007, 09:37:33 PM »
I have a request for the next release to make it possible that the text exporter be able to export the filename of non-image files listed in a contact sheet as well as the image files.  When the function reaches a non-image file, like an .mpg or .mov file, the program crashes.

This feature is really invaluable for generating list of all files, not just image files, on a DVD, CD or hard drive directory for record keeping, importing to databases, for copyright registration forms and probably a few other uses I haven't thought of yet.

What would really be better is a utility that will scan all the folders and subfolders on a CD or DVD and generate a list in txt, delimited text or xls format without having to create thumbnails.  I think the routine would really be helpful to other photographers as well.

Thanks!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Feature Upgrade Request
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2007, 11:15:23 PM »
I have a request for the next release to make it possible that the text exporter be able to export the filename of non-image files listed in a contact sheet as well as the image files.  When the function reaches a non-image file, like an .mpg or .mov file, the program crashes.

I'll fix that!

Quote from: Wolvie
This feature is really invaluable for generating list of all files, not just image files, on a DVD, CD or hard drive directory for record keeping, importing to databases, for copyright registration forms and probably a few other uses I haven't thought of yet.

What would really be better is a utility that will scan all the folders and subfolders on a CD or DVD and generate a list in txt, delimited text or xls format without having to create thumbnails.  I think the routine would really be helpful to other photographers as well.

That can be done from the command line pretty easily but does require the use of a non-GUI solution.

-Kirk

Offline Wolvie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2007, 09:02:53 PM »
That can be done from the command line pretty easily but does require the use of a non-GUI solution.
-Kirk

Duh! <slapping my forehead>  Totally forgot about using DOS to get the file list.  The good old DIR command works just fine for now and is way faster than waiting for PM to load the images to export a list.  In the future it would be nice if PM could have a switch with the option to generate the list after a burn or on an existing disk.  Thanks for your help, Kirk.  You made my week and it isn't over yet!

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 05:20:57 PM »
Quote from: Wolvie

However it could be a nice addition for the CD/DVD burning (which I really don't use yet because I like to exactly know what I will have on the disk and can check it) but can be a fine addition for those who use such automation companied by my other requesst following:
http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=1091.0
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com