Author Topic: Add/Modify disabled still allows edits and deletion  (Read 1672 times)

Offline hjb00

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Add/Modify disabled still allows edits and deletion
« on: December 07, 2020, 01:18:03 PM »
After unchecking the Add/Modify option, include/remove image to/from catalog is not allowed (as expected). However I can still make all kinds of modifications to metadata in the Metadata (IPTC) info window, and change rating, color and tagging tagging. These operations affect both the database as well as the image files. I am even able to delete images, which removes it both from databse and from disk. Is this the way it is expected to work? I would expect all of these operations to require the Modify to be allowed.

best regards,
Hans-Jørgen Bergmann

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Add/Modify disabled still allows edits and deletion
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2020, 03:43:38 PM »
Hans-Jørgen,

After unchecking the Add/Modify option, include/remove image to/from catalog is not allowed (as expected). However I can still make all kinds of modifications to metadata in the Metadata (IPTC) info window, and change rating, color and tagging tagging. These operations affect both the database as well as the image files. I am even able to delete images, which removes it both from database and from disk. Is this the way it is expected to work? I would expect all of these operations to require the Modify to be allowed.

Yes.  Operations that don't care about "Add/Modify" check boxes include:
 - Renaming a file
 - Deleting a file
 - Changing metadata in a file
 - Sync UI (which has its own check boxes)

If we were to limit access to a file because it was included in a catalog that is not set to Add/Modify and that image existed in more than one catalog, it would be rather cumbersome for the user to have to make the one catalog that was "un-modifiable" back to modifiable before the operation could complete or decide not to complete the operation.

-Kirk

Offline hjb00

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Add/Modify disabled still allows edits and deletion
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2020, 11:52:26 PM »
Thanks for the clarification, it makes sense.
However, I would suggest that this should be explained as a note in the document "Introduction to Photo Mechanic Plus catalogs".

best regards,
Hans-Jørgen