Author Topic: Serious cataloguing program?  (Read 7283 times)

Offline Fionanoc

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Serious cataloguing program?
« on: April 22, 2007, 03:17:49 AM »
Hi there,

I'm a Photo Mechanic user for over a year now and am very happy with the program.

Recently, however, I have the need to catalogue a very serious number of photo files- both scans from negative & transparency and digital (mostly Jpeg) and want to know if Photo Mechanic will serve my purposes well. I really do have aspirations to set up a huge photo data-base, which I eventually want to put out there as a commercial idea so I don't want to find that PM isn't up to the task when I'm half way through the project! I know of the Extensis and iView programs but really am at a loss as to which would best suit my needs and would appreciate any help you guys out there can offer. I'd like to keep it relatively simple- like, I can't see the need or usefullness of masses of 'metadata' etc and overly complex cross-referencing.

Thanks, in advance, for your kind attention,

Fionanoc
Dublin, Ireland.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Serious cataloguing program?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2007, 06:04:03 AM »
Fionanoc,

I'm a Photo Mechanic user for over a year now and am very happy with the program.

Recently, however, I have the need to catalogue a very serious number of photo files- both scans from negative & transparency and digital (mostly Jpeg) and want to know if Photo Mechanic will serve my purposes well. I really do have aspirations to set up a huge photo data-base, which I eventually want to put out there as a commercial idea so I don't want to find that PM isn't up to the task when I'm half way through the project! I know of the Extensis and iView programs but really am at a loss as to which would best suit my needs and would appreciate any help you guys out there can offer. I'd like to keep it relatively simple- like, I can't see the need or usefullness of masses of 'metadata' etc and overly complex cross-referencing.

At this time, Photo Mechanic is not a cataloging application.  We are adding cataloging capabilities to Photo Mechanic but its availability is a while off yet.

So you'll need to choose one of the other applications you mentioned for the time being.

-Kirk

Offline Juerg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 09:49:06 AM »

At this time, Photo Mechanic is not a cataloging application.  We are adding cataloging capabilities to Photo Mechanic but its availability is a while off yet.

So you'll need to choose one of the other applications you mentioned for the time being.

-Kirk

Kirk,

Will the catologing capability be available for the Windows version as well, or only the MAC version?
I strongly hope for both.

I tried several others, but each of them seems to be either very slow and has problems with ratings and labels entered in PM.

Thanks,
Archer

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 09:52:38 AM »
Archer,

Will the catologing capability be available for the Windows version as well, or only the MAC version?
I strongly hope for both.

I tried several others, but each of them seems to be either very slow and has problems with ratings and labels entered in PM.

It will be cross-platform code which will work on both Mac OS X and Windows equally well.

-Kirk

Offline rpruden

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 06:13:30 PM »
Fionanoc, i haven't used either, but my sister is a pro-PJ for her day job.  They use Extensis and PM.  She got me on the PM bandwagon and I am so glad she did.  From what she has mentioned, Extensis is a really powerful cataloging program with database backend for photo storage and retrieval.  Their older shoots are stored on CD/DVD and Extensis Portfolio can reference them and call for CD/DVD #xxx to access the originals (as I understand it).

Rick

Offline Pavel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2007, 06:10:13 PM »
I'm in  the same boat, patiently waiting for what will undoubtedly be "the" cataloguing app when it comes out (quality takes time) but in the meanwhile I have over 60,000 shots cluttering up several drives that I'm trying to force into submission.  I've found that while I don't like many aspects of the program, That Aperture is a great cataloguing program (and fantastic beyond compare with keywording).  So I use it for cataloguing, keywording and web-page creation.  It does a good job there - thought with the changes in keywording in 4.5 I am finding it different but as good now so I am going to keyword in PM from now on.

I can live without photoshop, but how one could live without Photomechanic is completely beyond my ability to imagine.  This is the best program in existence!