Author Topic: Import RAW+JPEG from different cards with same name  (Read 2509 times)

Offline kmie429

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Import RAW+JPEG from different cards with same name
« on: December 16, 2020, 10:08:56 PM »
My workflow when shooting with my camera is the following: I use 2 SD cards. On the first one, I save the RAW files of every picture I take while on the second one I save the full-size JPEGs of the same image. The camera saves them with the same filename but in different cards (this is in case one of the cards fails I still have a copy on the other one). On the second card (where the JPEGs get saved) is also where the camera saves the videos that I take (my camera only saves videos to one card).

Sometimes I shoot pictures and videos on the same event, the camera keeps the same sequence number between videos and stills. When importing both cards, I want the RAWs and JPEGs to be renamed with the same name (so I know they are the same picture by just looking at the name). The problem is:

1. How do I make PM6 to rename the RAW+JPEG files with the same filename+seq number when ingesting two differnet cards, one with the RAWs and one with the JPEGs?
2. I tried resetting the sequence number when ingesting each card, but when there are videos in the middle on the second card (the one with the JPEGs as well), the sequence number loses sync with the RAWs and RAW+JPEGs don't end up with the same name (and some videos have the same name as the RAWs which ends up a mess).

Thank you for your help

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Import RAW+JPEG from different cards with same name
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2020, 10:29:04 PM »
My workflow when shooting with my camera is the following: I use 2 SD cards. On the first one, I save the RAW files of every picture I take while on the second one I save the full-size JPEGs of the same image. The camera saves them with the same filename but in different cards (this is in case one of the cards fails I still have a copy on the other one). On the second card (where the JPEGs get saved) is also where the camera saves the videos that I take (my camera only saves videos to one card).

Sometimes I shoot pictures and videos on the same event, the camera keeps the same sequence number between videos and stills. When importing both cards, I want the RAWs and JPEGs to be renamed with the same name (so I know they are the same picture by just looking at the name). The problem is:

1. How do I make PM6 to rename the RAW+JPEG files with the same filename+seq number when ingesting two differnet cards, one with the RAWs and one with the JPEGs?
2. I tried resetting the sequence number when ingesting each card, but when there are videos in the middle on the second card (the one with the JPEGs as well), the sequence number loses sync with the RAWs and RAW+JPEGs don't end up with the same name (and some videos have the same name as the RAWs which ends up a mess).

Do you have two card readers such that you can have both cards mounted on your system at the same time?  If so, open both cards into a single contact sheet.  The images should then pair up.  You can then select them all and Ingest from selection.

-Kirk

Offline kmie429

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2020, 03:35:59 PM »
Thank you. I can use two cards when I am at my studio PC so I will try that out.

When I am on the go with just a laptop I only have one card reader. Is there a way to solve this with just one card reader?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2020, 05:11:54 PM »
Thank you. I can use two cards when I am at my studio PC so I will try that out.

When I am on the go with just a laptop I only have one card reader. Is there a way to solve this with just one card reader?

Sure, ingest twice to the same destination folder (some temporary location) then Ingest again (from folder, choosing that temporary folder) and the naming should sync.

-Kirk