Author Topic: Adjusting date and time  (Read 4384 times)

Offline Dewcal

• View Profile
Adjusting date and time
« on: December 22, 2020, 07:23:16 AM »
I have a number of incorrectly dated images (but these have the correct capture time) and am struggling to be able to update these in PM+ v6 build 5446 on a Windows 10 PC.  The 308k+ catalogue now shows these miss dated images at the very end as for some reason it appears they were taken in the years 2063 and 2965 although when uploaded via Adobe Bridge some years ago the dates were corrupted yet the files were placed in the correct date file in the PC folders.
I do not seem to be able to batch change the date via PM+.

The attached pdf gives some screen shots and, hopefully, a lucid description.

Any help gratefully received.

Offline KeithRJ

• View Profile
    • Keith & Vlasta Ross-Jones
Re: Adjusting date and time
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2020, 04:07:09 PM »
If you simply wish to copy the Date Modified field to the Date Taken or Date Digitised field, them this can be easily done using ExifTool.

Let me know and I can help you with the ExifTool instruction to do this.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2020, 04:47:51 PM »
I have a number of incorrectly dated images (but these have the correct capture time) and am struggling to be able to update these in PM+ v6 build 5446 on a Windows 10 PC.  The 308k+ catalogue now shows these miss dated images at the very end as for some reason it appears they were taken in the years 2063 and 2965 although when uploaded via Adobe Bridge some years ago the dates were corrupted yet the files were placed in the correct date file in the PC folders.
I do not seem to be able to batch change the date via PM+.

I looked at your PDF, thanks for providing it.  The Adjust Capture Dates and Times dialog should be able to set the capture date/time and the file modification date and time just fine.  I don't see you applying any delta or a corrected absolute date and time.  Are the absolute Date and Time pickers not working?

-Kirk

Offline KeithRJ

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2020, 11:45:36 PM »
Could you post one of your .nef files so I could look at the metadata. I suspect the .xmp is incorrect but the data in your .nef file is ok.

Offline Dewcal

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2020, 05:57:14 AM »
@KeithRJ

Many thanks for offer of help - have sent you PM with link to nef and xmp files.

@Kirk Baker

Thanks for reply. Perhaps I am using the tool incorrectly but having put in values for delta in the "relative" boxes immediately changes the time to 23:59:59 without any delta going into the time box.  To make a change to the image I have to apply a delta to the time which seems counter intuitive if the original time shown was correct.  It seems to me with my limited experience of PM that the time should not change unless instructed to?
Have also sent you the nef file link via PM.
Thanks again.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2020, 10:02:17 AM »
Thanks for reply. Perhaps I am using the tool incorrectly but having put in values for delta in the "relative" boxes immediately changes the time to 23:59:59 without any delta going into the time box.  To make a change to the image I have to apply a delta to the time which seems counter intuitive if the original time shown was correct.  It seems to me with my limited experience of PM that the time should not change unless instructed to?
Have also sent you the nef file link via PM.

Thanks for the sample files.

If I put -3 days, -6 months, -32 years, in that order in to the Adjust relative, the date is corrected and the time is left alone.  I have no idea why adjusting the date from the Absolute Adjusted Time Date picker that the time is modified other than there being some sort of wrap-around with the date when the day is not represented in all months (day 31 doesn't exist in June).  I'll have to investigate further when I'm back from vacation.

Using the relative adjustment should allow you to correct your photos.  Make sure to set the "Also update file creation date/time" check box.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline Dewcal

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2020, 10:41:52 AM »
Kirk,

Many thanks for reply.  I have tried to follow your suggestion but to no avail.  It would appear that the adjsut function always rememebrs the last set of numbers and if I press "reset" the time seems to default to 23:59:59. 

No worries, enjoy the Christmas holidays and a solution in early 2021 will be good.  Stay safe.

Offline KeithRJ

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2020, 05:16:44 PM »
Dewcal,

it looks like the camera dates are incorrect as shown below:

Create Date                     : 2063:08:20 11:37:56.86
Date/Time Original           : 2063:08:20 11:37:56.86
Modify Date                     : 2063:08:20 11:37:56.86
GPS Date/Time                : 2018:06:23 11:37:57.68Z

The GPS date appears correct and corresponds very closely to the xmp date.

If you believe the GPS date and time is correct (the GPS date is GMT or Zulu time) then you can very easily replace all the date and time fields with the GPS date and time using ExifTool.

You can download the latest exiftool from http://exiftool.org and install it on your computer and type in the required command to fix your dates.

I strongly suggest you copy ALL the files you want to fix into a work folder and also copy exiftool.exe to the same directory.  Once this is done open a cmd window and navigate to the work directory a.

I will give you two commands to run, one will make the changes into a copy of the original file and the other will update the original file and you will not have a backup.

Make changes to a backup
-----------------------------
exiftool "-AllDates<GPSDateTime" *.nef

Make changes to original
-----------------------------
exiftool "-AllDates<GPSDateTime -overwrite_original" *.nef

These commands update the following exif fields:

Create Date
Date/Time Original
Modify Date

You will need to update your xmp files so they reflect the updated dates.

If you need further help feel free to ask.

Offline Dewcal

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2020, 10:36:53 PM »
Keith,

Many thanks for your observations and yes, GPS time is one hour behind as here in the UK we were in summer time (BST).  I keep the camera body on GMT irrespective of location - possibly a bad habit but that way I don't forget to change anything.....

I will check the syntax for changing to GPS +1 hour for these images. so many thanks for the way of working as, while I have used exiftool in the past, I am not totally literate with all its functions.

There are a few images without GPS data so a "global" way of doing this in PM+ will still be appreciated.

Thanks again and have a safe Festive season.

Dave

Offline KeithRJ

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2020, 06:13:00 AM »
Glad I could help Dave.  If you need help with adding 1 hour to your time let me know.

Exiftool syntax is actually quite easy. Look at the very end of the help file for examples.  I can't remember the syntax but you can create a text file of the help from within exiftool as well as generate a huge list of tags that can be referenced.

Offline Dewcal

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2020, 07:51:55 AM »
Again many thanks Keith - appreciated.  It will be a Christmas project!

Dave