Author Topic: Browse service stopped working - can't reset it.  (Read 1940 times)

Offline Junction10

• View Profile
    • Junction10 Photography
Browse service stopped working - can't reset it.
« on: December 22, 2020, 06:26:36 AM »
Hi,

Not sure what’s caused it, but the Browse with PM service seems to be broken for me..  Whenever I try to browse a folder, it pops up a file dialogue showing the Applications folder, but it won’t actually let me click on ANY application, even PM6 to select it.. All I can click is the 'cancel' button on the file dialogue.

I’ve tried force quitting and reinstalling the service; I’ve also trying using ‘alt’ key to force it to select an app, but that doesn’t work either..

Any ideas?

Big Sur - 11.1
PM6 Build 5404
MacBook Pro 15” 2013.

Kind regards,

Jason Sheldon
iMac 27" 5K Retina 2017 -  4.2ghz 64gb RAM 1Tb HD, OSX Mojave
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 24 core GPU, 2Tb SSD, 64gb RAM

https://www.junction10.photography/

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Browse service stopped working - can't reset it.
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2020, 04:35:36 PM »
Jason,

Not sure what’s caused it, but the Browse with PM service seems to be broken for me..  Whenever I try to browse a folder, it pops up a file dialogue showing the Applications folder, but it won’t actually let me click on ANY application, even PM6 to select it.. All I can click is the 'cancel' button on the file dialogue.

I’ve tried force quitting and reinstalling the service; I’ve also trying using ‘alt’ key to force it to select an app, but that doesn’t work either..

Any ideas?

Big Sur - 11.1
PM6 Build 5404
MacBook Pro 15” 2013.

Have you tried restarting your system?  Restarting the Finder may also help.

-Kirk

Offline Junction10

• View Profile
    • Junction10 Photography
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2020, 06:18:43 PM »
Hi Kirk,

Yes - I've tried rebooting.. even tried rebuilding the launch services..  Still won't work..

What is really strange is that the dialogue that pops up with the application folder, it won't even let me navigate to any other folder or drive..  all the various folders are greyed out..  but even then, it won't let me click and select an application... 

J.

Offline Junction10

• View Profile
    • Junction10 Photography
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2020, 06:45:51 PM »
Kirk - I've got it working..  really strange one.  It appears that it had lost it's tie to the PM6 app, and the dialogue was prompting me to choose the PM6 application again.. 

I default to 'column' viewing in my finder windows..  the display mode is the only option (other than cancel) that would accept a mouseclick in the dialogue box.. 

If I chose 'List', I still couldn't click on an application..  however - if I chose 'Icon' mode for the dialogue box, then I could select the PM6 application icon, and then click 'open'..

That linked the service back to the PM6 app...

No idea why 'List' and 'Columns' view won't let you choose an App though if you use the Alt-key to force the service to choose a new app...

Do list and column view work for you?

J.

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2020, 01:11:49 PM »
Kirk - I've got it working..  really strange one.  It appears that it had lost it's tie to the PM6 app, and the dialogue was prompting me to choose the PM6 application again.. 

I default to 'column' viewing in my finder windows..  the display mode is the only option (other than cancel) that would accept a mouseclick in the dialogue box.. 

If I chose 'List', I still couldn't click on an application..  however - if I chose 'Icon' mode for the dialogue box, then I could select the PM6 application icon, and then click 'open'..

That linked the service back to the PM6 app...

No idea why 'List' and 'Columns' view won't let you choose an App though if you use the Alt-key to force the service to choose a new app...

Do list and column view work for you?

J.

I believe they work for me if I click and drag the application and when you let the app snap back to its location, the app will be selected