Author Topic: Keywords Panel  (Read 3583 times)

Offline george_51

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Keywords Panel
« on: December 23, 2020, 10:41:51 AM »
I'm a newbie to PM6+ and have been having a consistent problem with searching using Keywords.

All my images have been keyworded using inputs I have made to the Keywords Panel and then saved to Master.

But when I search using Filter/IPTC/Keywords the panel is not exactly the same and many images, keyworded with say Seascape or Markets do not appear in the Contact Sheet.

I'm getting the feeling I have a corrupted Keyword Panel or even two Keyword Panels.

I've attached a couple of screenshots that might help.

Am I alone?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Keywords Panel
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2020, 08:41:45 PM »
I'm a newbie to PM6+ and have been having a consistent problem with searching using Keywords.

All my images have been keyworded using inputs I have made to the Keywords Panel and then saved to Master.

But when I search using Filter/IPTC/Keywords the panel is not exactly the same and many images, keyworded with say Seascape or Markets do not appear in the Contact Sheet.

I'm getting the feeling I have a corrupted Keyword Panel or even two Keyword Panels.

Have you applied any of those keywords in the panel to your images?  The Keywords filter (and the Keywords sub-tree of the Browse tree) in the Organizer only show the keywords that exist in the images that are in the catalog.

-Kirk

Offline george_51

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2020, 11:39:39 PM »
Thanks for the quick response Kirk.

Yes, only 32 of 29289 images do not have keywords assigned to them.

If I look at the image data using the contact sheet and the circle with the lower case 'i' in it I see the keywords allocated to that image, I can also see the keywords on offer in either the Keywords Panel or when in the IPTC Template can see them there as an option for keyboarding an image or images.

But when I search on a keyword not all the images having that keyword appear.

It's odd.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2020, 04:38:33 PM »
George,

Thanks for the quick response Kirk.

Yes, only 32 of 29289 images do not have keywords assigned to them.

If I look at the image data using the contact sheet and the circle with the lower case 'i' in it I see the keywords allocated to that image, I can also see the keywords on offer in either the Keywords Panel or when in the IPTC Template can see them there as an option for keyboarding an image or images.

But when I search on a keyword not all the images having that keyword appear.

Which keywords exist in images that are cataloged but don't show up in the Keywords filter?  Is there anything unusual about them?

-Kirk

Offline george_51

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2020, 09:18:44 AM »
Thanks Kirk; there appears to be two issues, probably related:

1) If I drop down the Keywords Panel from Image in the top command line there is a keyword within the list that I have saved > Markets.

But when I search using Filter>IPTC>Keywords - the keyword Markets is completely absent from the list of available keywords.

I have about 20 images tagged Markets.

2) Judy & George does appear as a keyword in both the drop down Keywords Panel and the in the panel that appears in Filter>IPTC>Keywords but numerous images having that keyword do not appear when I search on Judy & George.

I have re-indexed several times but that does not seem to make any difference.

Hope you can help.

george

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2020, 12:56:09 PM »
George,

Thanks Kirk; there appears to be two issues, probably related:

1) If I drop down the Keywords Panel from Image in the top command line there is a keyword within the list that I have saved > Markets.

But when I search using Filter>IPTC>Keywords - the keyword Markets is completely absent from the list of available keywords.

I have about 20 images tagged Markets.

What is the type of those images?  RAW?  If so, what kind?  Non-RAW?

2) Judy & George does appear as a keyword in both the drop down Keywords Panel and the in the panel that appears in Filter>IPTC>Keywords but numerous images having that keyword do not appear when I search on Judy & George.

Anything special about those images that have that keyword but aren't listed?

-Kirk

Offline george_51

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2020, 07:01:37 AM »
Once again thanks Kirk.

All the images are .NEF RAW files.

There is nothing out of the ordinary either, the Markets are scenes taken inside food and flower markets and the Judy & George images are ones containing my wife and myself in many places we have visited.

I'm beginning to think I might delete all the .XMP files and start again with a clean sheet as something seems to have corrupted.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2020, 12:59:18 PM »
George,

Once again thanks Kirk.

All the images are .NEF RAW files.

There is nothing out of the ordinary either, the Markets are scenes taken inside food and flower markets and the Judy & George images are ones containing my wife and myself in many places we have visited.

I'm beginning to think I might delete all the .XMP files and start again with a clean sheet as something seems to have corrupted.

Before you do something that drastic, can you do a test for me?  First turn on CATALOG_DEBUG_LOGGING.  From the Help menu, choose "Edit Debug Settings..." and find the item titled CATALOG_DEBUG_LOGGING and set its checkbox.  Then click the Close button.  Then restart Photo Mechanic Plus.

Next, create a new catalog and then select only those images that don't get their Keywords collected and add them to the new catalog.  Be sure to have only the new catalog set to search and add/modify.  Check the Keywords filter or Keywords sub-tree in the Browse tree for those keywords.  Do they exist or are they still missing?

Then from the Help menu choose "Reveal Support Data..." and moments later a Finder/Windows Explorer window will come forward with the zipped log file selected.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your zipped PM log file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline george_51

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2020, 09:35:57 AM »
We are in quite a tight Covid lockdown where I live in the UK - so time at home is something I have plenty of at the moment!

I have already cleared out all the .XMP files and am now rebuilding the dataset from scratch while being careful about the Keywords and IPTC Template usage.

Should only take a few days and I'll be back in touch once its all done to let you know if the problem persists.

Offline george_51

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2020, 08:46:50 AM »
Kirk,

I've just finished keywording all my images and while it was a bit of a chore everything works nicely now.

My main image library is of personal stuff, made up of images of people, holidays, places, projects I have worked on and the like. The images are in separate folders within a nested hierarchy - under the Image Library Folder the next level has a folder for a trip to Japan 2 years back which has 14 sub-folders within it containing the images for Tokyo, Hiroshima, Nagasaki, various gardens etc. I also have 70 other folders at the same level as Japan in the hierarchy and each with similar sub-folders for golf trips, a trip Australia and one to New Zealand etc.

I have set up 45 Keywords and can now successfully search across the entire image library for all images of say castles, or a specific golfing friend, all botanic gardens etc. - and it all works perfectly.

I have other image libraries of aircraft, ships etc. built in the same manner which I will now move on to.

I am now a very happy PM6+ user!

Best regards and many thanks for your help.

George
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 02:06:24 PM by Kirk Baker »