Author Topic: GPS issue with saved JPG  (Read 1861 times)

Offline RonD200

• View Profile
    • Digital Images by Ron Skinner
GPS issue with saved JPG
« on: December 24, 2020, 09:18:19 PM »
I have a strange problem with the jpg GPS data not matching the NEF GPS data,  I have a group of raw NEF files taken at the Zoo and geotagged with GPS data in camera using Snapbridge, when using Show Map it shows the correct location in the zoo where the raw photo was taken, I then use edit in ON1 2021 and process the photo and save it back to the same folder as a jpg when I do a Show Map of the jpg its in a different location in the city but not in the Zoo, if you look at the attached screen shot you can see that the GPS info is different in the jpg and raw files, somehow in PM+6 the GPS info is being changed. If I look at the Metadata in ON1 the GPS data is the same in both the NEF and jpg and shows correctly on the map in ON1. I can't figure out why the exact same jpg in the the same folder has different GPS info than the NEF file in PM+6 but it's ok in ON1. I have the IPCT preference setup to use the Adobe settings and sidecar files which is what ON1 uses. Any idea of why the jpg GPS info in ON1 matches the NEF file but it doesn't in PM+6.   I'm using the latest update of PM+ on an iMac running Big Sur
My Gallery - Digital Images by Ron Skinner
My Blog - Ron's Blog

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: GPS issue with saved JPG
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2020, 11:01:32 PM »
Ron,

I have a strange problem with the jpg GPS data not matching the NEF GPS data,  I have a group of raw NEF files taken at the Zoo and geotagged with GPS data in camera using Snapbridge, when using Show Map it shows the correct location in the zoo where the raw photo was taken, I then use edit in ON1 2021 and process the photo and save it back to the same folder as a jpg when I do a Show Map of the jpg its in a different location in the city but not in the Zoo, if you look at the attached screen shot you can see that the GPS info is different in the jpg and raw files, somehow in PM+6 the GPS info is being changed. If I look at the Metadata in ON1 the GPS data is the same in both the NEF and jpg and shows correctly on the map in ON1. I can't figure out why the exact same jpg in the the same folder has different GPS info than the NEF file in PM+6 but it's ok in ON1. I have the IPCT preference setup to use the Adobe settings and sidecar files which is what ON1 uses. Any idea of why the jpg GPS info in ON1 matches the NEF file but it doesn't in PM+6.   I'm using the latest update of PM+ on an iMac running Big Sur

No.  Please provide sample files so I can investigate.  I need the NEF, the JPEG, and the XMP sidecar file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline RonD200

• View Profile
    • Digital Images by Ron Skinner
Re: GPS issue with saved JPG
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2020, 07:01:26 AM »
Here's a link to the files in Dropbox https://www.dropbox.com/sh/khiusg6w7ziohoi/AACN0iC1lPv9LiaVZI9uQmNla?dl=0

I did some further investigation and although all the NEF images have different GPS info for locations at the Zoo, everyone of the saved jpgs has the exact same GPS location embedded in it.  Also it seems the problem is limited to this one folder, I edited other images in other folders and both the NEF and JPG have matching GPS info.  For a final test I went in the backyard and took a few geotagged photos and those also worked fine. I think I may have corrupted something in that one folder cause I do remember playing around with the IPTC preference and and checking the boxes to Allow Raw Files to be modified and allow embedded metadata along with alway create a sidecar file, not sure what take priority. Curious to see what you find

Thanks
My Gallery - Digital Images by Ron Skinner
My Blog - Ron's Blog