Author Topic: reindex part of catalogue  (Read 1645 times)

Offline mike999

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
reindex part of catalogue
« on: December 26, 2020, 08:26:39 AM »
I have carried out extensive work to move around files and folders and delete files in one part of the directory tree that is part of my main catalogue. Is it possible to reindex just this part of the overall catalogue. Overall catalogue has about 250,000 files and this part has about 40,000 files. For example could I give it one directory name and say I want everything below this reindexed?

Offline Bill Kelly

• Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: reindex part of catalogue
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2020, 12:40:30 PM »
Hi Mike,

There are a few possibilities:

- If you rename folders from within Photo Mechanic Plus using the Navigator, then those changes should be tracked in your catalogs automatically.

- If you have already renamed a folder outside of PMPlus, then it is possible to locate that folder in the Browse section of the Organizer, under the Folder Path tree. One can then right-click on a folder and select "Choose New Location". This should update the folder path in your catalog.

- To have PMPlus check for missing files (or files which are no longer in the location they were cataloged) use the "Sync Catalogs" feature in the Catalog menu, in Full Sync mode. Once missing files have been identified by Sync, one can then select them in a contact sheet by either browsing their old Folder Path in the Organizer, or performing a search (empty double quotes "" in QuickSearch finds all files in catalog) and then choosing "Select Missing" from the Edit menu. One could then remove these missing files from the catalog.

- To update a catalog to include new files within a set of folders, without rebuilding the whole catalog, use the "Sync Catalogs" feature in the Catalog menu, in Quick Sync mode.

Hope this helps,

Bill

Offline mike999

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: reindex part of catalogue
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2020, 01:37:38 PM »
Thanks for the reply unfortunately I suspect my changes are so extensive that none of the methods would sort them out (many folders have been renamed and large numbers of files deleted and some renamed).

The only thing that would fix it would be to allow the selection of one folder and say completely reindex everything within that.

I should have done these extensive changes before doing the big catalogue but have only just started using the catalogue part of PM6 so will probably redo the whole catalogue (it took 3 days to build originally) once I have finished these extensive reorganisations. Only started the reorganisation because I realised how potentially useful the search feature is and this particular section of the library was poorly organised and had very few keywords so want to add a lot more keywords as well.