Author Topic: Custom Search Option In Organizer  (Read 2474 times)

Offline BillB

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Custom Search Option In Organizer
« on: December 29, 2020, 07:05:29 AM »
I have tried to find an example of how to use the "Custom Search" option in the Organizer's Filter function to no avail. Can someone point me to a doc or at least an example or two?

Regards,
...Bill
...Bill

Dell G5 15 Laptop, Win 10 with 16Gb, Intel UHD Graphics 630 and NVIDIA GTX 1660 Ti 8Gb, LG HDR 4K extended display, PM6+, all caching on SSD.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Custom Search Option In Organizer
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2020, 10:02:32 AM »
Bill,

I have tried to find an example of how to use the "Custom Search" option in the Organizer's Filter function to no avail. Can someone point me to a doc or at least an example or two?

Here is the basic documentation on Filtering: https://docs.camerabits.com/support/solutions/articles/48001077464-using-the-photo-mechanic-plus-filter-tool

At step #2, you'd choose the "Custom Search" as your filter choice.  Then enter your search terms.  You can then use additional filters as you see fit.

-Kirk

Offline BillB

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2020, 11:28:05 AM »
At step #2, you'd choose the "Custom Search" as your filter choice.  Then enter your search terms.  You can then use additional filters as you see fit.

Yes, I've seen that document. And I'm finding the Custom Search filter option. It's the syntax for search terms that I'm trying to find more info on. Anything?

Thanks for your followup.
...Bill

Dell G5 15 Laptop, Win 10 with 16Gb, Intel UHD Graphics 630 and NVIDIA GTX 1660 Ti 8Gb, LG HDR 4K extended display, PM6+, all caching on SSD.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2020, 01:14:50 PM »

Yes, I've seen that document. And I'm finding the Custom Search filter option. It's the syntax for search terms that I'm trying to find more info on. Anything?

From the Catalog menu in the menu bar: choose Example Searches... to see some search examples.  To see the list of searchable fields choose Searchable Fields...

-Kirk

Offline BillB

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2020, 06:16:35 PM »
From the Catalog menu in the menu bar: choose Example Searches... to see some search examples.  To see the list of searchable fields choose Searchable Fields...

Oh for crying out loud. I'm scouring the help docs and support site, and its right in front of my face. Confirmation I was hoping not to get, though- that the IPTC Category fields can be referenced via Variables but they cannot be searched in any way (unless I'm still missing something).

Thanks for your reply.
...Bill

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2020, 07:22:17 PM »
Bill,

Oh for crying out loud. I'm scouring the help docs and support site, and its right in front of my face. Confirmation I was hoping not to get, though- that the IPTC Category fields can be referenced via Variables but they cannot be searched in any way (unless I'm still missing something).

Thanks for your reply.

No, you're not missing anything.  Those fields have been deprecated for more than ten years now.  No current standard includes them.  We still allow you to view and edit them but they're not indexed.

-Kirk