Author Topic: Searching by orientation?  (Read 5760 times)

Offline myotis

• View Profile
Searching by orientation?
« on: January 02, 2021, 03:52:36 AM »
Is there some way of searching for all portrait/vertical orientated images?

I thought there might be some exif/iptc tag for orientation that would be searchable, but I can't find one.

Thanks,

Graham

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Searching by orientation?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2021, 02:05:03 PM »
Graham,

Is there some way of searching for all portrait/vertical orientated images?

I thought there might be some exif/iptc tag for orientation that would be searchable, but I can't find one.

No, there is no search field for orientation currently.

-Kirk

Offline myotis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2021, 10:40:39 PM »
No, there is no search field for orientation currently.

Thanks, Kirk. 

Hopefully this can be added in the future now that PM has a catalogue, as searching for only vertical images is useful when you know you are looking for a picture suitable for a magazine/book cover.

Cheers,

Graham

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2021, 10:24:08 AM »

Offline myotis

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2021, 10:46:02 AM »

Offline myotis

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2021, 12:48:42 PM »
Kirk,

Can I follow up on this.

I ended up searching by orientation using Lightroom, and then added a "Vertical" as  a keyword to all the portrait orientated raw files. (about 3000 files).

Using the browser view in PM6+ I can see the new keyword "Vertical" is being read by PM6+ but a catalogue search only found 6 files.

I opened the information dialog box, on several images to check if the "Vertical" keyword was present, which it was, and after I had opened the image information, it would appear in the catalogue search.

I assumed that the PM6 browser was reading the changed XMP file, but that the changes weren't being saved into the catalogue, until after a save had been triggered by opening the information dialog box.

So I tried re-indexing the catalogue which has made no difference. A search is still only finding the files I manually opened the information dialog box for.

What should I doing to get the keywords to update in the catalogue ?

Thanks,

Graham

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2021, 12:54:06 PM »
Graham,

I ended up searching by orientation using Lightroom, and then added a "Vertical" as  a keyword to all the portrait orientated raw files. (about 3000 files).

Using the browser view in PM6+ I can see the new keyword "Vertical" is being read by PM6+ but a catalogue search only found 6 files.

I opened the information dialog box, on several images to check if the "Vertical" keyword was present, which it was, and after I had opened the image information, it would appear in the catalogue search.

I assumed that the PM6 browser was reading the changed XMP file, but that the changes weren't being saved into the catalogue, until after a save had been triggered by opening the information dialog box.

So I tried re-indexing the catalogue which has made no difference. A search is still only finding the files I manually opened the information dialog box for.

What should I doing to get the keywords to update in the catalogue ?

Catalog Sync with the Quick Sync mode should pick up the changes made to your metadata outside of Photo Mechanic Plus.

-Kirk

Offline myotis

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2021, 02:07:39 PM »
Catalog Sync with the Quick Sync mode should pick up the changes made to your metadata outside of Photo Mechanic Plus.
-Kirk

Thanks Kirk

I tried Quick sync and Full sync.  Quick sync didn't work, and the dialog with the full sync option said that it was for syncing meta data, where as the text for the quick sync said it was for adding new files.

However, although I got a message saying over 7000 files had been updated and 27000 files had been scanned, a search for Vertical still only results in finding 27 files rather than 3000 plus.

Updating the metadata in Neofinder, is finding 3000 files plus and randomly opening files in PM, that aren't showing in the search, shows that the metadata contains the Vertical keyword..

Can I be doing something silly ?

Cheers,

Graham

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2021, 10:15:07 AM »
Graham,

Thanks Kirk

I tried Quick sync and Full sync.  Quick sync didn't work, and the dialog with the full sync option said that it was for syncing meta data, where as the text for the quick sync said it was for adding new files.

However, although I got a message saying over 7000 files had been updated and 27000 files had been scanned, a search for Vertical still only results in finding 27 files rather than 3000 plus.

Updating the metadata in Neofinder, is finding 3000 files plus and randomly opening files in PM, that aren't showing in the search, shows that the metadata contains the Vertical keyword..

Does Neofinder change any metadata in the images or XMP sidecar files?

-Kirk

Offline myotis

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2021, 10:40:41 AM »
Graham,

-Kirk

If I make changes to the metadata, then yes it will save those changes to the XMP sidecar, but not the RAW.

But the sequence was adding the keyword in LR, having the problems in PM, doing the quick sync (and then full sync) as instructed, and then updating the Neofinder catalogue to see if it was also having problems in reading the XMP files, which it wasn't.

I still find it odd that if I open the XMP panel using the "i" on the thumbnail to check the keyword is there, this image is then found in a search. A search now finds 27 images out of the 3000+

Thanks,

Graham

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2021, 10:46:44 AM »
Graham,

If I make changes to the metadata, then yes it will save those changes to the XMP sidecar, but not the RAW.

But the sequence was adding the keyword in LR, having the problems in PM, doing the quick sync (and then full sync) as instructed, and then updating the Neofinder catalogue to see if it was also having problems in reading the XMP files, which it wasn't.

I still find it odd that if I open the XMP panel using the "i" on the thumbnail to check the keyword is there, this image is then found in a search.

I find it odd too.  It sounds like a bug that needs to be fixed.  Would you mind running one more Full Sync and see if it still says files were updated (the 7000)?

-Kirk
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 11:04:35 AM by Kirk Baker »

Offline myotis

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2021, 10:55:48 AM »

I find it odd too.  It sounds like a bug that needs to be fixed.

-Kirk

I'm tempted to just create a new database and hope that fixes it, but is there anything else I can do, e.g send you one of the XMP/raw files to see if you can pick up something odd with them.

Graham

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2021, 11:07:23 AM »
Graham,

I find it odd too.  It sounds like a bug that needs to be fixed.

I'm tempted to just create a new database and hope that fixes it, but is there anything else I can do, e.g send you one of the XMP/raw files to see if you can pick up something odd with them.

Before you do that, would you mind running one more Full Sync and see if it says that files were updated?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline myotis

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2021, 11:14:48 AM »
Graham,

Before you do that, would you mind running one more Full Sync and see if it says that files were updated?

Thanks,

-Kirk

I've already run an additional three, maybe four full syncs, an additional quick sync and re-indexed the catalogue twice :-(

Every full sync suggests that all files are up to date, so I don't really know why I kept running it, but I did.

Graham

Offline myotis

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2021, 07:14:20 AM »
As  a follow up to this, I have now, eventually, created a new database and the "Vertical" keyword is now showing 3438 images :-)

However, although I made sure only the ADD for my new database was selected, as it was building, the message on the metadata update in the tasks window said I was updating 2 of 2  databases and the catalog.pmdb file for both databases was being written to.

While building the new database (27,000 images) it froze during building previews (actually only during the final 3000 files).  I did a search here and found a suggestion to run a full sync to force the preview build to restart, but PM6 was locked solid, and I needed to force quit.

After restarting, the preview build automatically restarted, and after 3-4 crashes and restarts, the previews were completed :-)

it seems to OK now, and I will delete the original database.

As an aside as my rebuilds and restarts seemed to affect both databases i.e. the message that metadata was being updated in two of two databases, I did check my original database, to see if there were any changes, but this is still only seeing 27 images with the "Vertical" keyword.

Cheers,

Graham