Author Topic: Anyone using IDImager (cataloging program) in conjunction with PM?  (Read 8693 times)

Offline Juerg

• View Profile
Hello everyone,

I purchased PM about 2 month ago and love it. The only real grap I have is that I can't use keyword search in the windows version (or any other caption data search) accross multiple folders (without opening the top folder including sub in a contact sheet). I use Bridge for this, but it's terrible slow. I tried cataloguing software (Lightroom, iView Pro, and all the others), but don't like any of them.

I came accross a program callied IDImager (http://www.idimager.com/) and it looks like it does everything I need (and a lot of what PM does) and is XMP compatible.

Does anyone use this program?
Do you know whether it is compatible with PM star rating and color labeling?
Does it automatically update the catalogue if I change captions of a file in PM?

I don't think I will ever abandon PM (and if the cataloging feature is comming in the future it probably will become the sole application to use), but until then I need something to find and search fast based on caption information.

Thanks for any input/info.

Regards,
Archer

Offline ruhell

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone using IDImager (cataloging program) in conjunction with PM?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 07:31:52 AM »
I'm also using Idimager (the free version), and I'm having trouble with IPTC added with PM4.5. When adding European letters (Æ Ø Å) with PM4.5, Idimager shows strange symbols (æ   Ã¸   Ã¥ ). On pictures where IPTC have been added by using Fotostation Æ Ø Å reads correctly with Idimager. That beats me, probably some kind of finger trouble from my side when using PM, just don't know what or where :-(

Sincerely
Rune

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 08:51:04 AM »
Rune,

I'm also using Idimager (the free version), and I'm having trouble with IPTC added with PM4.5. When adding European letters (Æ Ø Å) with PM4.5, Idimager shows strange symbols (æ   Ã¸   Ã¥ ). On pictures where IPTC have been added by using Fotostation Æ Ø Å reads correctly with Idimager. That beats me, probably some kind of finger trouble from my side when using PM, just don't know what or where :-(

You need to choose a more appropriate text encoding for your locale.  In the IPTC/XMP tab of the Preferences dialog, you can choose the default text encoding that you would like to use for IPTC metadata.  The default is MacRoman.  I would just take some test files and experiment around with different encodings until you find the one that fits best and then keep using it as your default.  In the caption field, enter all of the accented characters you can come up with and then verify that they look correct in other applications that you use.

-Kirk

Offline robok

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 05:21:34 PM »

Does anyone use this program?
Do you know whether it is compatible with PM star rating and color labeling?
Does it automatically update the catalogue if I change captions of a file in PM?

I don't have the answers but would be interested too.  Trying to piece together my solution with Bibble in the middle.  iMatch and iView are also often mentioned.

Offline Brendan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008, 02:13:29 PM »
how do you tag images  (in PM with "t")?
using the latest version of PM on win10