Author Topic: Memory leak?  (Read 13488 times)

Offline Indy

• View Profile
Re: Memory leak?
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2021, 11:38:02 AM »
How do you get the Organizer tab to become frozen?

No idea but it seems to be related to the CPU/memory issue.

I still cannot come up with a consistent way to trigger the problem - sometimes it happens immediately, sometimes after 10-20 minutes and sometimes not at all.   But every time I had the CPU/memory issue this morning during testing the controls within the Organizer tab were unresponsive.

Offline Hydester

• View Profile
    • Hotel Resort Photography
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2021, 04:16:01 AM »
I am on a Mac & just noticed that memory usage was up to 7GB

Would the general advice be to use PM rather than PM+ when not specifically accessing catalogs?

Stephen

Offline micky.finn

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2021, 05:31:52 AM »
I am opening inmages to edit in Photoshop frmo the contact sheet preview - it seems PM spawns Photoshop and there is definitely some memory issues if I use for extended period - usually the images get corrupted with neon colored dot tht are suddently written across the screen - but they are in the data stored in memory so you can't undo!
Alternatively there fill be blue screen of death with a variety of memory errors. So memory leak / memory overwrite - it only started a few versions ago. On windows 10 64 bit OS

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2021, 09:08:24 AM »
I am opening inmages to edit in Photoshop frmo the contact sheet preview - it seems PM spawns Photoshop and there is definitely some memory issues if I use for extended period - usually the images get corrupted with neon colored dot tht are suddently written across the screen - but they are in the data stored in memory so you can't undo!
Alternatively there fill be blue screen of death with a variety of memory errors. So memory leak / memory overwrite - it only started a few versions ago. On windows 10 64 bit OS

This is indicative of a hardware problem.  Bad RAM or a failing memory controller.

-Kirk

Offline Fulcrum_29SMT

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2021, 09:34:59 AM »
Yes, that's clearly not a software issue. Do similar problems happen with other programs, too?

Offline Indy

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2021, 06:00:43 PM »
Any updates on this?   Any debug I can turn on or anything I can do to help identify the issue?

Still seeing the Organizer tab lock-up every time I see the memory usage take off.

Thanks,

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2021, 07:16:33 PM »
Any updates on this?   Any debug I can turn on or anything I can do to help identify the issue?

Still seeing the Organizer tab lock-up every time I see the memory usage take off.

No.  We have been unable to reproduce the problem locally.  If you can give us a set of steps that reproduces the problem, we'll fix it right away.  Even if you don't know exactly what triggers it, knowing in general what leads to the problem happening can sometimes lead us in the right direction.

-Kirk

Offline Indy

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2021, 08:31:57 PM »
I haven't been able to come up with steps to reproduce.  Sometimes all it takes is to start PM+ and wait for 10 minutes (doing nothing with the program) and sometimes it doesn't happen at all.  But it does happen more often than not.

I don't know if this will be useful but attached are screenshots of the Sysinternals VMMap utility showing memory usage after startup and then again once I see the memory usage climbing.  If this info is helpful I think the utility can also save detailed snapshots - let me know if that is something you would want to see.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2021, 09:32:58 AM »
Snapshots would be great, thanks.

-Kirk

Offline Indy

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2021, 06:10:55 PM »

With the latest version (5724) I was able to get snapshots using the Sysinternals VMMap utility.  The first one (stable) is shortly after startup and the memory usages seems stable.  The second one (increasing) is of course after I noticed it was increasing - PM+ was not being used at the time.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2021, 10:18:25 AM »

With the latest version (5724) I was able to get snapshots using the Sysinternals VMMap utility.  The first one (stable) is shortly after startup and the memory usages seems stable.  The second one (increasing) is of course after I noticed it was increasing - PM+ was not being used at the time.

Thanks.  Was the Organizer tab locked up?

I'd like to see your Photo Mechanic Plus log.  In Photo Mechanic Plus go to the Help menu and choose "Reveal Support Data..." and moments later a Windows Explorer window will come forward with the zipped log file selected.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your zipped PM log file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Indy

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2021, 10:33:27 AM »
Yes, I've been checking and every time I see the memory increasing the Organizer tab is also locked up.

I'd like to see your Photo Mechanic Plus log.  In Photo Mechanic Plus go to the Help menu and choose "Reveal Support Data..." and moments later a Windows Explorer window will come forward with the zipped log file selected.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your zipped PM log file.
Attached, let me know if you need anything else.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2021, 11:33:49 AM »
Yes, I've been checking and every time I see the memory increasing the Organizer tab is also locked up.

When that happens, are you able to use any of the Catalog windows (Scan to Catalog, Catalog Sync, etc.) or are they hung up as well?

Attached, let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks.  We may have you turn on some debug logging and reproduce the problem again.

-Kirk

Offline Indy

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2021, 02:42:30 PM »
When that happens, are you able to use any of the Catalog windows (Scan to Catalog, Catalog Sync, etc.) or are they hung up as well?
They open but they are frozen as well, can't do anything, can't close them.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2021, 06:54:14 PM »
I have added some logging pertaining to user-generated events.

Please download and install this build: https://www.camerabits.com/download/PMPlusSetupR5744_8fbfa8af.msi

Launch it and go to the Help menu and choose "Edit Debug Settings..." and in the "New debug setting:" field paste the following:

USER_EVENTS_LOGGING

and click the "Add" button.  Then click the Close button and quit and relaunch Photo Mechanic Plus.

Then try and get the Organizer tab to hang.  Make note of the time when it happens.  Then go to the Help menu and choose "Reveal Support Data..." and moments later a Windows Explorer window will come forward with the zipped log file selected.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your zipped PM log file.

Please include in your reply the time of day that you noted.

Thanks,

-Kirk