Author Topic: Memory leak?  (Read 13371 times)

Online Indy

• View Profile
Re: Memory leak?
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2021, 08:39:09 PM »
Please include in your reply the time of day that you noted.

Started between 10:26 and 10:27 pm.

Online Indy

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2021, 06:18:24 AM »

Looking at the PM.log file, it appears to correspond to when the "kMaxGtkIterations" log message starts appearing.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2021, 09:42:23 AM »

Looking at the PM.log file, it appears to correspond to when the "kMaxGtkIterations" log message starts appearing.

[Wed Apr-07-2021 22:26:56.920][00004128][0492108] PM4.cpp:890 gtk_main_iteration_do()

At that time, were you generating events (moving the mouse, clicking on UI elements) ?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Online Indy

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2021, 09:49:22 AM »
[Wed Apr-07-2021 22:26:56.920][00004128][0492108] PM4.cpp:890 gtk_main_iteration_do()

At that time, were you generating events (moving the mouse, clicking on UI elements) ?
Actually, I think I was using another program and PM+ was in the background.   I had been trying to get PM+ to act up with no luck so I was doing something else when I noticed the PM+ CPU % spike in the Task Manager window.  I then switched over to PM+, verified the Organizer tab was locked up and then dumped the log files.

I can try again if you need a cleaner sequence of events before the problem appears.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2021, 09:50:27 AM »
Also, can you tell me more about what input devices you use?  Mouse, trackpad, tablet, touch screen, keyboard, etc.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Online Indy

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2021, 10:19:54 AM »
Also, can you tell me more about what input devices you use?  Mouse, trackpad, tablet, touch screen, keyboard, etc.
Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon laptop
     - attached to a CalDigit TS3 Plus docking station

Logitech MX Keys wireless keyboard
Logitech MX Anywhere 2s wireless mouse
     - both connected via Logitech USB dongle on laptop (not docking station)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2021, 11:26:37 AM »
Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon laptop
     - attached to a CalDigit TS3 Plus docking station

Logitech MX Keys wireless keyboard
Logitech MX Anywhere 2s wireless mouse
     - both connected via Logitech USB dongle on laptop (not docking station)

OK, nothing out of the ordinary there.

Would it be possible for you to record video of what actions you perform leading up to the hang?  It would be great if you could have some sort of clock widget running that shows the 24hours:minutes:seconds and is visible in the video, along with the logs generated.  With the video showing the time, we can align the video with the log files and hopefully spot a cause and reproduce the problem locally which will make it much easier to fix.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Online Indy

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2021, 02:11:20 PM »
Would it be possible for you to record video of what actions you perform leading up to the hang?  It would be great if you could have some sort of clock widget running that shows the 24hours:minutes:seconds and is visible in the video, along with the logs generated.  With the video showing the time, we can align the video with the log files and hopefully spot a cause and reproduce the problem locally which will make it much easier to fix.
I can but I'm not sure it would help - I don't think anything I'm doing is directly causing it to happen.  Here are descriptions of the videos you would have got on the last two occurrences:

#1 - I started PM+ and immediately minimized it.  Task Manager was already running and I didn't touch the laptop again until 15-20 minutes later when I saw the CPU jumped to 10% and the memory started to increase.

#2 - I started PM+ and then brought a browser to focus and started watching YouTube videos. Task Manager was running and bit later I saw the CPU jumped to 10% and the memory started to increase.

The problem seems to be completely unrelated to what I'm doing.  I've seen it immediately happen after starting PM+ and I've also worked continuously with PM+ for several hours without it happening at all.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2021, 05:51:01 PM »
I can but I'm not sure it would help - I don't think anything I'm doing is directly causing it to happen.  Here are descriptions of the videos you would have got on the last two occurrences:

#1 - I started PM+ and immediately minimized it.  Task Manager was already running and I didn't touch the laptop again until 15-20 minutes later when I saw the CPU jumped to 10% and the memory started to increase.

#2 - I started PM+ and then brought a browser to focus and started watching YouTube videos. Task Manager was running and bit later I saw the CPU jumped to 10% and the memory started to increase.

The problem seems to be completely unrelated to what I'm doing.  I've seen it immediately happen after starting PM+ and I've also worked continuously with PM+ for several hours without it happening at all.

That's going to be a tough one to fix.  I'll start leaving Photo Mechanic Plus running for extended periods and keep an eye on it.

-Kirk

Online Indy

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2021, 09:40:54 AM »
That's going to be a tough one to fix.  I'll start leaving Photo Mechanic Plus running for extended periods and keep an eye on it.

I'll keep trying to narrow things down while using PM+.

Did the 'kMaxGtkIterations' log entries that corresponded to the start of the issue give any indication of the problem?

Thanks,
David

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2021, 09:49:46 AM »
David,

I'll keep trying to narrow things down while using PM+.

Did the 'kMaxGtkIterations' log entries that corresponded to the start of the issue give any indication of the problem?

It is indicative of the GDK/GTK system no longer processing events.  We use that system to provide all of the Catalog UI functionality.  We think that it is tied to the memory consumption as well.

-Kirk