Author Topic: Photo Mechanic Renders PNG Files very Slow.  (Read 1347 times)

Offline lifeworksphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Photo Mechanic Renders PNG Files very Slow.
« on: August 22, 2023, 09:34:45 AM »
Been a longtime user of PM. Been staring to use .png files a lot in my workflows and PM seems to hate them. Specs of my computer are attached. Rendering for the PNG files is awful slow. I've timed it. Sometimes it can be up to 10 seconds. And then it renders fine for like 5 files and slows down again. Photo selection/colorl coding can also be slow. Sometimes 3 to 4 seconds after I actually try to tag it or color code, then others go immediately.

No issues with jpegs/raw/psd files, etc.

Any tips?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Photo Mechanic Renders PNG Files very Slow.
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2023, 10:37:14 AM »
How large are your PNG files?  (file size and resolution)

-Kirk

Offline lifeworksphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2023, 12:55:52 PM »
Generally between 7 MB & 11 MB

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2023, 09:24:51 AM »
And the resolution (in pixels, width and height) of the image?

-Kirk

Offline lifeworksphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2023, 07:10:53 AM »
72 dpi Roughly 4000 px x 6000 px

These are direct cutouts from jpeg files initially.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2023, 09:08:55 AM »
72 dpi Roughly 4000 px x 6000 px

These are direct cutouts from jpeg files initially.

Thanks.  Would it be possible to share one of the images that loads slowly?  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your PNG file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline lifeworksphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2023, 01:45:19 PM »
They do load faster when there are only like 10, but I'll typically have 100+ in a folder and that's when they really take a long time. But i have to keep them in one folder because they're typically all one time.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2023, 02:10:44 PM »
Thanks.  It's the alpha channel that is killing the performance.  It will improve somewhat when the Apple Silicon-native version of PM arrives.  You didn't say what platform you're on, but I'm expecting it is an Apple Silicon-equipped Mac system.  Your image loads fairly quickly on my Intel processor-equipped Mac Pro.

-Kirk

Offline lifeworksphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2023, 06:57:56 AM »
Thanks Kirk. Is there a rough estimated time when that Apple Silicon-native version might arrive?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2023, 01:45:13 PM »
Thanks Kirk. Is there a rough estimated time when that Apple Silicon-native version might arrive?

No, but we're working diligently on it.

-Kirk

Offline dcmontgomery

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2023, 02:28:40 PM »
This is a HUGE issue for me. PM has never been able to render PNGs quickly, which is unfortunate, because speed has always been one thing I've been able to rely on when it comes to PM.  Whether it's rendering previews, adding or removing color labels, it's probably my biggest frustration with the program at this time.  Would love to see an update that addresses these issues.

Offline charlesteton

• View Profile
    • www.charlesteton.com
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2024, 10:21:39 AM »
I had the same problem with PNG and base M2 Mac Mini but it really speeded up with latest Mac OS and last version of PM, don't know if this helps? It was like night and day, literally choked now pretty close to jpg. I did delete app and then reinstall months later, when read on forum that there were some problems that had been sorted partly. I was using PNG as 16-bit and stills were from 10-bit footage and jpg 8-bit, probably would export as tiff now if did again. Had no option to export PNG without transparent alpha channel. C

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2024, 11:08:36 AM »
This is a HUGE issue for me. PM has never been able to render PNGs quickly, which is unfortunate, because speed has always been one thing I've been able to rely on when it comes to PM.  Whether it's rendering previews, adding or removing color labels, it's probably my biggest frustration with the program at this time.  Would love to see an update that addresses these issues.

Sorry we didn't reply on this, it was posted shortly after our winter break week began and I missed it upon our return after New Year's. Do your PNGs have an alpha channel?

Whether it's rendering previews, adding or removing color labels, it's probably my biggest frustration with the program at this time.

Please clarify, are you stating that updating color labels on PNG files is also slow?

Offline brentwatkins

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2024, 06:10:14 AM »
Has there been any progress on this?   We are doing spring school pictures and culling in PM is painfully slow for transparent PNG's  - is almost unusable. 

5000 images and the culling is AWFUL. 

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2024, 11:21:00 AM »
Has there been any progress on this?   We are doing spring school pictures and culling in PM is painfully slow for transparent PNG's  - is almost unusable. 

5000 images and the culling is AWFUL.
Yes, our developers are still working on an Apple Silicon native build where we are hopeful that this will offer a performance benefit when viewing PNG files with alpha channels. Once that work is completed, we will see if the performance improvements are adequate or if we need to look further into it to see how to improve the experience.