Author Topic: Basic image manipulation  (Read 22761 times)

Offline jimb

• View Profile
Re: Basic image manipulation
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2007, 05:11:59 AM »
This thread is a great example of what would likely happen if editing features were added to PM. There's never enough to satisfy everyone, and users want more, more, and then more. We've seen requests from simple "crop-straightening" to "80% of Lightroom's develop module" (wow!). I would hate to see PM's limited development resources be diverted from what makes this program so useful in it's current state.

Also, I am having difficulty with the arguments against using an external editor. It can't be much simpler than selected one or more images, and pressing Ctrl-E. Once you are in PS, you can apply actions to speed up editing. Which, BTW, would probably be one of the first feature requests after PM released a version with basic editing features :P. When you're done, the updated images are available in PM for the next step. Everything you could possibly need for editing is already there.

Regarding the post about using the Mac's core-image engine, how would the Windows version be addressed?

Just my initial thoughts...
« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 05:28:01 AM by jimb »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2007, 06:22:53 AM »
A lot of people seem to be worried that adding image-editing features to PM would bloat the programme and make it slow and cumbersome. On a Mac, wouldn't the system's own core-image engine be able to handle most the editing work? Would adding such features really bloat the programme they way many are predicting?

It is unlikely we would use CoreImage to do such things since it would not be available on the Windows side.  CoreImage is really neat however and I'm sure many apps use it to great effect.

Adding image processing to PM would not make it slower if you choose not to use it.  We take great care in adding functionality to make sure that it does not slow down the primary uses of Photo Mechanic.  Adding optional image processing features would not hinder basic editing and previewing when not in use.

-Kirk

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2007, 08:50:31 AM »
Also, I am having difficulty with the arguments against using an external editor. It can't be much simpler than selected one or more images, and pressing Ctrl-E. Once you are in PS, you can apply actions to speed up editing. Which, BTW, would probably be one of the first feature requests after PM released a version with basic editing features :P. When you're done, the updated images are available in PM for the next step. Everything you could possibly need for editing is already there.

I have one problem with the approach of using external editor. My workflow is as follows - 1) ingest to hdd, 2) do selects, 3) edit selects, 4) send selects.

Currently, step 3 to 4 includes copying the selects to another dir on same hdd (when using notebook), which is slow, editing them one after another in Photoshop, then going back to PM (usually quitting PS & restarting PM due to memory constraints), and sending the toned selects. I can't reasonably edit the originals using CTRL-E/CMD-E because I need them backed up. And if I renamed them with Save As in PS, that is two additional steps in PS and then again in PM to select the renamed ones...

Frantisek
« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 08:57:18 AM by Kirk Baker »