Author Topic: PM Update build R5560 does not work  (Read 2493 times)

Offline bildbaendiger

• View Profile
    • bildbaendiger
PM Update build R5560 does not work
« on: February 13, 2021, 12:06:57 PM »
Hi

after I installed PM update R5560 I can't work with any catalog anymore.
(Mac, System 10.15.7)
All existing catalogs are displayed in the Active Catalog window.
But I can no longer work in the browser, filter or search window. Nothing is displayed or PM jumps back to the last search of the last version.
On exit the Catalog manger continues to run.
("The Catalog system is taking awhile to stop. Continue waiting?")
I have to force quit.
Forget Catalog, a new copy of the catalog and reintegration of the forgotten catalog does not help.

After i deleted the folder the folder /Library/Application Support/Camera Bits, Inc  I was able to get the catalogs to view.
However, extremely slow. Switching between folders takes several seconds up to minutes, depending on the number of images.

Do I need to reset some other PM settings?

Where can I get the previous version (R5438)?

Thanks a lot for help.
Thomas
« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 12:28:54 PM by bildbaendiger »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM Update build R5560 does not work
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2021, 01:03:24 PM »
Thomas,

after I installed PM update R5560 I can't work with any catalog anymore.
(Mac, System 10.15.7)
All existing catalogs are displayed in the Active Catalog window.
But I can no longer work in the browser, filter or search window. Nothing is displayed or PM jumps back to the last search of the last version.
On exit the Catalog manger continues to run.
("The Catalog system is taking awhile to stop. Continue waiting?")
I have to force quit.
Forget Catalog, a new copy of the catalog and reintegration of the forgotten catalog does not help.

After i deleted the folder the folder /Library/Application Support/Camera Bits, Inc  I was able to get the catalogs to view.
However, extremely slow. Switching between folders takes several seconds up to minutes, depending on the number of images.

Do I need to reset some other PM settings?

Could I have you turn on Catalog debug logging and try again, please?  From the Help menu, choose "Edit Debug Settings..." and find the item titled CATALOG_DEBUG_LOGGING and set its checkbox.  Then click the Close button.  Then restart Photo Mechanic Plus and reproduce the problem.  From the Help menu choose "Reveal Support Data..." and moments later a Finder/Windows Explorer window will come forward with the zipped log file selected.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your zipped PM log file.

NOTE: you'll have to get the problem to happen again now that you've enabled logging.

Where can I get the previous version (R5438)?

All builds are available in the Announcements section of the forum: http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?board=15.0

If you could generate and post the log before you install an older build, we'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline bildbaendiger

• View Profile
    • bildbaendiger
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2021, 01:48:24 PM »
Hi Kirk,

thank you very much for your swift answer.

I think I was able to reproduce the problem.
Attached the log file
There were many problems at the beginning up to a crash.
Then I deleted the camerabits folder in the library folder and PM had problems to assign the catalogs.
Only when I copied the catalog again I could register it again. (before I could not do anything with the old catalog, error message catalog locked).
After reintegration all images are wrongly displayed online and with a wrong path.
It takes a very long time for a folder change.
Then I have to force quit the application to quit.
I hope the log-File will help.

Thanks again for your help.

Greetings
Thomas

Offline Bill Kelly

• Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2021, 02:35:42 PM »
Hi Thomas,

Thanks for the logfiles.

Could you try the "Optimize SQL Query Planning" button in the Maintenance options for your catalog, in the Manage Catalogs window?

It should take a few minutes on a large catalog. I anticipate this will fix the problem.

(For best performance, you'll eventually want to run a Re-index operation in Maintenance. However, that will take longer than the simpler Optimize button.)

Regards,

Bill

Offline bildbaendiger

• View Profile
    • bildbaendiger
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2021, 02:44:20 AM »
Dear Bill

Thank you very much for your advice.
This has worked.
The "Optimize SQL Query Planning" took 1 minute for the catalog with 160k images.
After that, the catalog response was as smooth as usual.

The problem remains that all images are displayed online although the HD with the image data is not connected and the path is displayed incorrectly. (it starts with amdoc:// followed by a proxy number) It is because all images are on an external HD, and the catalog was originally created with a Windows machine. I had addressed this in an earlier post (http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=13946.0).
To be sure, I also did a reindex of the catalog (without the external HD).
It took 45 minutes for the 160k entries. It did not change the wrong path and the wrong online display.
Connecting the HD with the image data led to the following result:
The path is now displayed correctly, but the images are now all displayed offline.
The command "choose new location ..." does not change anything.
As well the reindex of the catalog changed nothing.
If I first connect the external HD with the image data and then do a new reintegration of the catalog I have the same problem.

The following seems to solve the problem:

If I have defined the external HD as a shared folder ("Manage Shared Folders ..." command) before creating a catalog with the Windows computer, the reintegration is done correctly.
I have declared the topmost folder on the external HD as a Shared Folder on both machines (Mac and Windows).
The catalog created without the shared folder definition never recognizes the connected HD as online.

I have attached the new Log-Files again. Maybe they will help for this problem.

Is it a good idea to always delete the folder "/Library/Application Support/Camera Bits, Inc" when I install a new version?
Without the deletion, the reaction of the catalogs was unpredictable.
Where can I find this folder or the corresponding files in the Windows version?

thank you very much for the quick and so helpful answer.

Regards
Thomas

« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 03:51:40 AM by bildbaendiger »