Author Topic: Image size and zoom issue  (Read 3670 times)

Offline fourdogslong

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Image size and zoom issue
« on: January 06, 2021, 06:06:44 PM »
Hi,
I just bought a license for PM Plus.

When showing raw sony files (ARW), the resolution doesn't appear correctly. All of my ARW files are in reality 4000 x 6000 pixels, in PM they show as 1616 x 1080 so when I hit zoom x1 the image gets smaller as a result.

Is there an option somewhere to show Raw files at their native size? Jpegs don't show this problem. My older Nikon Raw files (NEF) don't behave like this either so it really looks like it's sony related...

Please help, thanks.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Image size and zoom issue
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2021, 07:00:25 PM »
When showing raw sony files (ARW), the resolution doesn't appear correctly. All of my ARW files are in reality 4000 x 6000 pixels, in PM they show as 1616 x 1080 so when I hit zoom x1 the image gets smaller as a result.

Is there an option somewhere to show Raw files at their native size? Jpegs don't show this problem. My older Nikon Raw files (NEF) don't behave like this either so it really looks like it's sony related...

The low resolution image you're seeing is due to the relatively small preview embedded into your ARW files by your camera.  Photo Mechanic/Photo Mechanic Plus does not render RAW files directly.  It does offer the ability to utilize the Adobe DNG Converter to produce larger previews, but it is very slow.  Another option is to convert your ARW files to DNG files which will have a large preview in them.

-Kirk

Offline fourdogslong

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2021, 06:01:00 AM »
Yeah I did more research after I posted and that's what I found out.
Does the Adobe converter only work when zooming?
Also in the preferences, there seems to be a built-in renderer but I'm unable to select it instead of the Adobe one, how does that work?

Offline davidgordon

• View Profile
    • davidgordon.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2021, 06:29:21 AM »
Also in the preferences, there seems to be a built-in renderer but I'm unable to select it instead of the Adobe one, how does that work?

My experience: the Adobe convertor will allow to you see 'develop' changes made to raw files by Lightroom in PM & PM+ as well as a full size zoom.

The built-in renderer is not available yet.

And yes, the Adobe renderer is Really Slow (and uses a lot of power).

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2021, 08:28:56 AM »

No.  When enabled it will be used for thumbnails, previews, and zoomed images.

It is disabled for now because the renderer does not meet our standards at this time.

-Kirk

Offline fourdogslong

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2021, 09:57:33 AM »

No.  When enabled it will be used for thumbnails, previews, and zoomed images.

May I suggest this as a feature request? To allow the raw renderer to only work in the preview window, or maybe have the option to work only in the preview window or even only when zooming.

Personnaly, I bought PM Plus for it's metadata capabilities and it's filter/search functions, I like how this allow me to see all of my pictures or refine my search to only see my exported images for a full year or even all of them, the possibilities are great.
Most of the time I will be looking at the processed jpeg output so the small raw preview is not a deal breaker but it's not ideal either.
Apparently sony has no intention of changing that preview size.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2021, 11:46:49 AM »

Offline mklass

• View Profile
    • Mick Klass Photography
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2023, 07:09:41 AM »
Is there anything new on this? Especially coming up with a workable internal to PM RAW renderer?

I've just started shooting with a a Sony camera in addition to my Nikons, and miss the ability to zoom a preview when culling images.

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2023, 11:34:04 AM »
We haven't made any changes to where Photo Mechanic sources the image that it displays, the options are either to use the embedded preview, enable RAW rendering via Adobe DNG converter or have the camera shoot RAW+JPEG. I'm not sure what Sony you are shooting with, but since this thread was first posted Sony has released at least two cameras that embeds a much larger preview in the RAW file, and I assume/hope they will continue doing this for all future models.

Offline mklass

• View Profile
    • Mick Klass Photography
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2023, 12:19:49 PM »
Kirk,

An 6500 and an A7C. I just did a firmware update on the A7C. I’ll check the previews one I get a chance to shoot with it.