Author Topic: Upload to Smugmug  (Read 1608 times)

Offline PauloBMB

• View Profile
Upload to Smugmug
« on: January 10, 2021, 04:28:23 PM »
When uploading RAW files to smugmug, how does PM handle the convention to JPEG? Can I set size compression, etc. somewhere Or PM grabs the jpeg preview from the raw file itself?

And if I upload a Jpeg is there any compression going on or the file gets uploaded as it is?

And the last question, is there a way to automate this upload on ingest? What I want is when getting home from a wedding I have a ingest template that I am working on that by the use of Hot Codes, get all my files in their right folder and apply basic metadata for me, all based all camera serial number (at least 3 shooters per wedding so usually six cameras to deal with). The next step would be to upload jpegs to smugmug as a backup (we all shoot with the second card on camera set to jpeg for that so it makes this faster). So if I could get all of that to be done on one click from ingesting it would be great. I f I can not, then just uploading straight from raw file after ingesting would save one step, ingesting the jpegs before uploading.
Any insight would be apreciatted.

thanks

Paulo

Thanks!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Upload to Smugmug
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2021, 09:01:32 AM »
Paulo,

When uploading RAW files to smugmug, how does PM handle the convention to JPEG? Can I set size compression, etc. somewhere Or PM grabs the jpeg preview from the raw file itself?

It uses the embedded JPEG preview.

And if I upload a Jpeg is there any compression going on or the file gets uploaded as it is?

It depends on your settings.  If you scale, crop, apply a watermark, etc. then a new JPEG will be created and uploaded and later deleted (locally, it's a temporary file).

And the last question, is there a way to automate this upload on ingest? What I want is when getting home from a wedding I have a ingest template that I am working on that by the use of Hot Codes, get all my files in their right folder and apply basic metadata for me, all based all camera serial number (at least 3 shooters per wedding so usually six cameras to deal with). The next step would be to upload jpegs to smugmug as a backup (we all shoot with the second card on camera set to jpeg for that so it makes this faster). So if I could get all of that to be done on one click from ingesting it would be great. I f I can not, then just uploading straight from raw file after ingesting would save one step, ingesting the jpegs before uploading.

No, there is no ingest to direct upload capability.

-Kirk

Offline PauloBMB

• View Profile
Re: Upload to Smugmug
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2021, 10:05:26 AM »
Thanks Kirk!