Author Topic: Mac OSX Big Sur 11.1 and PhotoMechanic 6 Build 5438 Crashing  (Read 1375 times)

Offline jah

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Mac OSX Big Sur 11.1 and PhotoMechanic 6 Build 5438 Crashing
« on: January 08, 2021, 11:35:54 AM »
Hi

I am using PhotoMechanic 6 Build 5438 on an iMac running Big Sur 11.1 with an external Thunderbay drive.  I can now regularly completely crash the iMac buy cataloging several thousand photos (between 2,000 and 30,000).  The cataloging works but the background job that runs to either create the preview or update metadata (on a bulk application of an IPTC template for example) causes the iMac to completely freeze and then black screen crash requiring a hard report.  A few times this has completely corrupted the catalog, other times it seems to recover and continue background processing only then to crash a few minutes later.

Help!

Thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Mac OSX Big Sur 11.1 and PhotoMechanic 6 Build 5438 Crashing
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2021, 11:42:00 AM »
I am using Photo Mechanic Plus 6 Build 5438 on an iMac running Big Sur 11.1 with an external Thunderbay drive.  I can now regularly completely crash the iMac by cataloging several thousand photos (between 2,000 and 30,000).  The cataloging works but the background job that runs to either create the preview or update metadata (on a bulk application of an IPTC template for example) causes the iMac to completely freeze and then black screen crash requiring a hard reboot.  A few times this has completely corrupted the catalog, other times it seems to recover and continue background processing only then to crash a few minutes later.

A user-level application should not be able to crash your entire system.  I suspect that you may have a hardware issue.  Usually bad RAM is the culprit.

-Kirk