Author Topic: Very slow filtering  (Read 2025 times)

Offline GetUp

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Very slow filtering
« on: January 09, 2021, 06:19:25 AM »
I have catalog with around 700 000 images. FIltering is very slow, is it what is supposed to be? I have my catalog on external SSD (Samsung T7, blackmagic speed test gives around 750 mb/sec read write speed) and all photos on external usb dual disk raid hdd (around 120 mb sec speed).
Switching from folder to folder in Filtered mode takes around 1 to 2 minutes, and you dont see, whats actually going on in background.
Also, it very annoying, when Filter parameter Folder Path fold himself, after I delete some of the filtering images, even If I selected another folder already.
Please, look at the attached video:
http://drops.andreylv.ru/tev9zW

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Very slow filtering
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2021, 07:20:14 AM »
I have catalog with around 700 000 images. FIltering is very slow, is it what is supposed to be? I have my catalog on external SSD (Samsung T7, blackmagic speed test gives around 750 mb/sec read write speed) and all photos on external usb dual disk raid hdd (around 120 mb sec speed).
Switching from folder to folder in Filtered mode takes around 1 to 2 minutes, and you dont see, whats actually going on in background.
Also, it very annoying, when Filter parameter Folder Path fold himself, after I delete some of the filtering images, even If I selected another folder already.
Please, look at the attached video:
http://drops.andreylv.ru/tev9zW

Filtering by folder (folder queries in general) are much slower than we want them to be.  We are working on optimizing it.  Are there any other filters that will allow you to achieve the same goal?  I expect the performance to be much better.

-Kirk

Offline GetUp

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2021, 07:23:04 AM »
My goal now is to find all pictures, that captured in particular year, but NOT in folder, where it belongs and move it to correct folder. Can you suggest the faster way to do that task? Thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2021, 04:55:26 PM »
My goal now is to find all pictures, that captured in particular year, but NOT in folder, where it belongs and move it to correct folder. Can you suggest the faster way to do that task? Thanks

You could Filter by Capture Time and drill down to the particular year you're interested in.  You could then create a custom sort using {folder} and all of the images in each folder will be grouped together.  If you used that variable as one of your thumbnail labels, you'll see the names of the folders at-a-glance and can select them and move them.

Custom sorts aren't super fast (need to get all of the metadata) but I don't think it will take two minutes.

-Kirk